Hi, recently I bought a usb optical mouse to replace a usb optical mouse (of different brand) that is dying on me. It didn't really come with instructions but should be simple, with just plug-and-play, get the driver and voila you have a mouse again. I've done this before.
However, this time upon attempting to install my new usb optical mouse, I receieved an error message along the lines of
"An error occured during the installation of the device
The driver installation file for this device is missing a neccesary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor"
That's all it tells me. I did digging and found out that it's the "moufltr.sys" file, under System32/Drivers. I tried to update the driver but it didn't work, and still gives me the error message.
Can you help me? What do I need to do recover the necessary entry and thus install my mouse? I hate using this thumpad!
What is your operating system?
What is the make and model of mouse?
What is the make and model of the computer?
USB 1.0 or 2.0?
What indications did you have that your old mouse was "dying on me (you)"?
Did you remove previous drivers?
Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
Mouse: Targus USB Retractable Mini-Mouse, model PAUM01U
Computer: Custom-built HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook
USB: 1.0, 2.0? I don't know.
My old mouse is just worn out, the cable is damaged or something and shorts out when I move the mouse, then comes back on, but shorts out again. It's just damaged and worn out.
I tried removing the driver for the worn-out mouse.
What and or where did you find data on moufltr.sys?
How did you try removing previous drivers?
If you run a Search for moufltr.sys and it is found you might try renaming it to moufltr.sys.BAK and see if that resolves the issue. moufltr.sys is as far as I can see a Windows 2000 and perhaps XP update application.
Anyway renaming it will remove it as an issue. If found to be necessary you can always look it up again and set its' original name.
Okay, I tried renaming the moufiltr.sys to moufiltr.sys.BAK and it still came back with the error message citing that the file is missing a necessary entry.
I'm not sure why it was able to install my first mouse if it can't install other usb mouses now. I tried a Microsoft USB mouse that my roommate has and it came back with the same error message.
I defraged my computer and cleaned up registry with Uniblue Registry Cleaner 2009, and hasn't resolved the issue.
I did some more digging and searching on the internet and found that the specific error is named E0000219: SPAPI_E_NO_ASSOCIATED_SERVICE, at least I think that's the one.
Description: The driver installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance. This failure generates the following entries in the Setupapi.dev.log file.
The windows DrvPkg_ErrorFile offered by the Windows Vista team gives a following solution: Ensure that all description of the AddService directive in the Services section (such as DDInstall.Services section) in the INF file is correct. And also ensure that the target of "Include" and "Needs" exists in Windows Vista.
I am not sure if that is the solution to my proplem, but if it is I have no clue how to do that,
I will keep looking for more info on it for you. htough I am curious if I were to replace my mouse with one of the same brand and model, would that one work? I think it would still have to install it.
Question
I plugged the USB adapter into my computer but no drivers seemed to load. Where do I find the drivers for my Mouse?
Answer
The Targus WIreless Mouse with Power management is supported by Windows and does not require additional drivers. To confirm that Windows has loaded the drivers:
From the Start Menu, click on Control Panel
Select System then click on the Hardware tab
Click on Device Manager
Expand the Human Interface Devices section.
You should see an entry for USB Human Interface Device
If you don't see an entry, right mouse click on the Human Interface Devices entry and choose Scan for hardware changes. Also, try removing the receiver & plugging it into another USB port on your computer.
If you don't have a Human Interface Device entry, or you get an error message that the files cannot be located, click here for additional information on Windows HID Drivers.
Press and release the link button on the receiver and confirm that the status light blinks.
Sorry wrong model: 01 not 10 (wireless). Anyway check out the Device Manager.
Well I have the USB Human Interface thing in device manager already. The mouse currently lists as "unkown device". I tried plugging it into all three of my usb ports, but am receiving the same error.
How do I check 'BIOS" to see if my legacy software allows USB 1.0 software?
Okay, so the other day I spent like 4 hours talking to HP Technical Support (through my HP Total Care package) and they can only come up with the following solutions:
-Go into safe mode and uninstall all the USB Drivers from Device Manager and reboot, thus re-installing the original usb drivers.
-Update BIOS
-Update/reinstall chipset drivers (from online?)
-Total OS reinstall (last resort)
The technicians at HP aren't sure what the problem is but it sounds like my INF files for that driver, the one that governs USB browser mice, are now corrupt and if the first three options do not resolve the issue, I would have to reload the OS back to factory settings via the reinstall/backup DVD
I want to thank you for your time and support, and your efforts in trying to resolve this issue for me. Thank you.
By custom-built I just mean I ordered it to my specifications online and they built it and shipped it to me from the factory, instead of me just picking one up from the store. As I have said, I'm pretty computer savvy so i made sure I had plenty of ram and processing and memory, etc. for what I wanted to do and to run Vista Home Premium optimly, but didn't do anything too extreme, just removed programs like roxio creater or other stuff which I already had, bought a much bigger battery, etc., aka tweaked the model to my liking and made sure it would run Vista Home Premium optimally, and didn't skimp on other areas. That's basically it.
I will try a USB 2.0 mouse first, but I believe the Microsoft USB mouse I tried is 2.0 and it didn't work. Thanks for the idea.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI