Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Missing Necessary Entry for driver

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JazzTrombone

JazzTrombone

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:18 PM

Hi, recently I bought a usb optical mouse to replace a usb optical mouse (of different brand) that is dying on me. It didn't really come with instructions but should be simple, with just plug-and-play, get the driver and voila you have a mouse again. I've done this before. However, this time upon attempting to install my new usb optical mouse, I receieved an error message along the lines of "An error occured during the installation of the device The driver installation file for this device is missing a neccesary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor" That's all it tells me. I did digging and found out that it's the "moufltr.sys" file, under System32/Drivers. I tried to update the driver but it didn't work, and still gives me the error message. Can you help me? What do I need to do recover the necessary entry and thus install my mouse? I hate using this thumpad!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:45 PM

What is your operating system? What is the make and model of mouse? What is the make and model of the computer? USB 1.0 or 2.0? What indications did you have that your old mouse was "dying on me (you)"? Did you remove previous drivers?

#3 JazzTrombone

JazzTrombone

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) Mouse: Targus USB Retractable Mini-Mouse, model PAUM01U Computer: Custom-built HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook USB: 1.0, 2.0? I don't know. My old mouse is just worn out, the cable is damaged or something and shorts out when I move the mouse, then comes back on, but shorts out again. It's just damaged and worn out. I tried removing the driver for the worn-out mouse.

#4 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

First off this mouse requires no drivers:

http://www.targus.co...asp?SKU=PAUM01U

It is USB 1.1 whereas your laptop is USB 2.0 but that should not be a factor.

HP does offer this driver which would not hurt to try:

http://h10025.www1.h...product=1842155

Just for reference the main HP link to your laptop:

What and or where did you find data on moufltr.sys?

How did you try removing previous drivers?

If you run a Search for moufltr.sys and it is found you might try renaming it to moufltr.sys.BAK and see if that resolves the issue. moufltr.sys is as far as I can see a Windows 2000 and perhaps XP update application.

Anyway renaming it will remove it as an issue. If found to be necessary you can always look it up again and set its' original name.

#5 JazzTrombone

JazzTrombone

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

Okay, I tried renaming the moufiltr.sys to moufiltr.sys.BAK and it still came back with the error message citing that the file is missing a necessary entry. I'm not sure why it was able to install my first mouse if it can't install other usb mouses now. I tried a Microsoft USB mouse that my roommate has and it came back with the same error message. I defraged my computer and cleaned up registry with Uniblue Registry Cleaner 2009, and hasn't resolved the issue. I did some more digging and searching on the internet and found that the specific error is named E0000219: SPAPI_E_NO_ASSOCIATED_SERVICE, at least I think that's the one. Description: The driver installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance. This failure generates the following entries in the Setupapi.dev.log file. The windows DrvPkg_ErrorFile offered by the Windows Vista team gives a following solution: Ensure that all description of the AddService directive in the Services section (such as DDInstall.Services section) in the INF file is correct. And also ensure that the target of "Include" and "Needs" exists in Windows Vista. I am not sure if that is the solution to my proplem, but if it is I have no clue how to do that, :wacko: I will keep looking for more info on it for you. htough I am curious if I were to replace my mouse with one of the same brand and model, would that one work? I think it would still have to install it.

#6 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

I will see what I can find on that error.

In the meantime Targus support offers this:

Drivers for PAWM10

Question
I plugged the USB adapter into my computer but no drivers seemed to load. Where do I find the drivers for my Mouse?

Answer
The Targus WIreless Mouse with Power management is supported by Windows and does not require additional drivers. To confirm that Windows has loaded the drivers:

From the Start Menu, click on Control Panel

Select System then click on the Hardware tab

Click on Device Manager

Expand the Human Interface Devices section.

You should see an entry for USB Human Interface Device

If you don't see an entry, right mouse click on the Human Interface Devices entry and choose Scan for hardware changes. Also, try removing the receiver & plugging it into another USB port on your computer.

If you don't have a Human Interface Device entry, or you get an error message that the files cannot be located, click here for additional information on Windows HID Drivers.

Press and release the link button on the receiver and confirm that the status light blinks.

Sorry wrong model: 01 not 10 (wireless). Anyway check out the Device Manager.

Edited by jephree, 05 April 2009 - 01:47 PM.

#7 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:55 PM

I see another instance of that error with this suggestion:

Check BIOS setup for enabling legacy USB 1.0 which might help

#8 JazzTrombone

JazzTrombone

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

Well I have the USB Human Interface thing in device manager already. The mouse currently lists as "unkown device". I tried plugging it into all three of my usb ports, but am receiving the same error. How do I check 'BIOS" to see if my legacy software allows USB 1.0 software?

#9 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

Section 2.2 under Troubleshooting shows your BIOS Setup and how to work with it.

From the manual I cannot see if there is a USB Legacy option but you might as well check.

We do know your laptop is USB 2 and the mouse is USB 1 but as previously mentioned it should be backwards compatible.

I did note your error message on another forum was related to this same issue however.

Here is the manual:

http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01035677.pdf

#10 JazzTrombone

JazzTrombone

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:19 AM

Okay, so the other day I spent like 4 hours talking to HP Technical Support (through my HP Total Care package) and they can only come up with the following solutions: -Go into safe mode and uninstall all the USB Drivers from Device Manager and reboot, thus re-installing the original usb drivers. -Update BIOS -Update/reinstall chipset drivers (from online?) -Total OS reinstall (last resort) The technicians at HP aren't sure what the problem is but it sounds like my INF files for that driver, the one that governs USB browser mice, are now corrupt and if the first three options do not resolve the issue, I would have to reload the OS back to factory settings via the reinstall/backup DVD :( I want to thank you for your time and support, and your efforts in trying to resolve this issue for me. Thank you.

#11 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:44 AM

Thanks for the thanks! No problem. We like to at least try and help. :D

Did you mention to them the USB 1 vs USB 2 possible conflict?

> The Safe Mode option is a safe try.

As to the other suggestions I would put one other first:

Try a USB 2 mouse.

If you cannot do so then you could try to update the BIOS or chipset drivers but I don't see much there.

Nor do I see a total reload of the OS as any help.

Of course just my observance and opinion.

I think the best attempt is try a USB 2.0 capable mouse.

Anyway drivers are here:

http://h10025.www1.h...r...ct=1842155

BIOS here:

Also I don't think I ever asked but you said in the beginning it was a "Custom-built HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook".

How was it "custom built"?

Also you can try other USB devices. If you have no issue with other USB devices then all the HP ideas are moot points.

They are presuming something is wrong with your USB ports. I am suggesting there is something wrong with your mouse.

#12 JazzTrombone

JazzTrombone

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:03 AM

By custom-built I just mean I ordered it to my specifications online and they built it and shipped it to me from the factory, instead of me just picking one up from the store. As I have said, I'm pretty computer savvy so i made sure I had plenty of ram and processing and memory, etc. for what I wanted to do and to run Vista Home Premium optimly, but didn't do anything too extreme, just removed programs like roxio creater or other stuff which I already had, bought a much bigger battery, etc., aka tweaked the model to my liking and made sure it would run Vista Home Premium optimally, and didn't skimp on other areas. That's basically it. I will try a USB 2.0 mouse first, but I believe the Microsoft USB mouse I tried is 2.0 and it didn't work. Thanks for the idea.