This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Repeated USB Device Installation Error

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows XP pro. Whenever I connect my Logitech mouse, Memorex jump-drive or Ipod into my USB drives, I get the following error: “Device Installer Error – Windows could not load installer for Mouse (or Volume).” Though I get this error, my device will start working. This error reoccurs every subsequent time I plug in these devices. I do not get this error for everything I connect to the USB though, I don’t get it for either of my external hard-drives (one being a Lacie brand), nor do I get the error when I connect my Samsung printer. I have checked for Windows updates, I have tried deleting phantom drivers under the device manager, I have tried troubleshooting through Vaio and through Logitech, I have scanned for hardware changes, I have uninstalled Itunes and quick-time. I also posted this question on the windows communities forum, and recieved no response. I have worked on this for over 8 hours and I have exhausted what I think is everything I think I can do on my own, and would appreciate any help or advice you can give me.
Hi milly, Sounds like you've been quite exhaustive in your search for a solution. My suggestion may be way to elementary for you, but I'll mention it anyway. Drivers for these items: Logitech mouse, Memorex jump-drive or Ipod into my USB drives….. must be installed BEFORE the actual device is physically connected to the USB. I'd recommend that you use Control Panel Add/Remove to uninstall any driver software for each of these devices. Then (prior to connecting the device to USB) install the driver software and follow the installation prompts to reboot your machine and then plug in that single device to complete the driver installation. Do the above separately for all three. Yeah, I'll bet you've already done that. But it doesn't hurt to mention this most common mistake with USB devices. I'll follow along with your progress and research further, depending on your need and future questions. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI