This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Microsoft Security Essentials V2.0

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

It seems not too many people are aware that MSE 2.0 went final and was released with virtually no fanfare on December 21. Surprisingly, it does not show up when the older version checks for updates, nor with Windows Update so you have to manually get it from here.

The new version has a couple nice new features besides enhancements to the already decent anti-malware program. For one, you can opt out completely from participating in SpyNet. With MSE's previous version, and with Windows Defender, you had the choice of Basic or Advanced participation. I think the inability to opt out stopped some paranoid types from using MSE. I personally was not paranoid Microsoft was using it to keep track of my computing habits, but I was bothered I could not opt out. Now that I have a choice, I still selected Basic.

The other nice feature is the ability to toggle down CPU usage during scheduled scans. While MSE has a fairly light footprint anyway - piglet vs hog - this option may be nice for those who don't have their scans scheduled in the middle of the night.

Since I migrated my systems to Windows 7 in October 2009, I have been running MSE (and Windows Firewall) for my real-time anti-malware solution (in addition to being behind a router) and am very happy with their performance as well as their lack of impact on the performance of my systems and their ease of use.

Thanks for the info Bill,
I had missed that
I have been greatly impressed with MSE and install it on many machines that come into the shop

Putting it on a new build is actually how I noticed it. Then I saw Ed Bott mention it, but then didn't see anyone else talking about it. So I thought I would mention it here.
I put Microsoft Security Essentials on my laptop computer about 3 weeks ago on a recommendation from a computer tech guy. Every time I turn the computer OFF rather than just standby, it then indicates that it is NOT on when I turn the computer back on. Is this normal…..I shouldn't think so??
MSE, like other antivirus utilities built for windows, loads early, but not until Windows itself loads. Afterall, the antivirus utility is built to run "within" Windows environment. During the boot sequence and after your Personal Profile is loading, you will generally receive a warning in the Notification Area (lower-right corner of Desktop near clock/calendar) The Alert will say something to the effect: "Windows may not be protected, no Antivirus is installed" Pretty much the next thing that will happen is that MSE castle Icon will appear (first as RED, then turn to blue or green, but sometimes yellow-gold if it needs to update) I think the above is what you are referring to. If not "normal" it is the "ordinary" course of events and not cause for alarm.
If this line is to be pursued, I suggest these last few posts be split to a new thread. This thread is about the new V2, not about problems with the old V1. Based on Doug's comments, I guess I should been more clear. If your MSE stays in off status once the computer is fully booted, and you have to manually restart it every time you boot, that is not normal.

If this line is to be pursued, I suggest these last few posts be split to a new thread. This thread is about the new V2, not about problems with the old V1.

Sorry I did not know there was a significant difference in these two versions. Plus I would have assumed with all of the constant updates I received on Security Essentials, I would have been updated to the latest version automatically??…maybe not??

Plus I would have assumed with all of the constant updates I received on Security Essentials, I would have been updated to the latest version automatically??…maybe not??

Note first line in my opening post in this thread.