This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

msie 9

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Yes, but it doesn't work on XP, only Vista and Windows 7.


ya found that out yesterday errrrrr MS want to hit ya in the head, but as us xp users are going have to face the fact, we are going have to play taps for xp sooner or later. :( :(

jimbo1
It has been widely announced through IE9 beta and the RC that XP would not support it - sorry you did not see it.

but as us xp users are going have to fact the fact, we are going have to play taps for xp sooner or late

Like some long lasting hardware, I guess it is better to be allowed to outlive your usefulness than to die, or be put down early due to some defect. While much of XPs demise is due to advancements in hardware and software technologies, much also is due to badguys rendering legacy systems insecure and obsolete, and current security technologies and philosophies necessities.

It has been widely announced through IE9 beta and the RC that XP would not support it - sorry you did not see it.


no I did not see it, I just saw the ad saying upgrade to 9 :(

But with that I have 2 programs I may as well let go, they do not run in 7 and really don't want to mess with virtual memory to make them run, so in a few weeks after getting my data off this system may move to 7, I kinda been thinking of dual booting but not sure of that yet.

Jimbo1
Make sure your hardware is able to support Windows 7. I just retired all my XP systems and build all new for Windows 7. I skipped Vista altogether so all my XP systems were getting pretty old and were ready for retirement. So I went all new hardware for the new OS, and have no regrets. Sadly, much of the bad press for Win7 came from users attempting to upgrade and use legacy HW and SW.

Make sure your hardware is able to support Windows 7. I just retired all my XP systems and build all new for Windows 7. I skipped Vista altogether so all my XP systems were getting pretty old and were ready for retirement. So I went all new hardware for the new OS, and have no regrets. Sadly, much of the bad press for Win7 came from users attempting to upgrade and use legacy HW and SW.


Aye building a quad core, at least 6 gigs of ram still debating on the new SS drives or not but cost wise sata more for me atm, brand new monitor, printer and all my other sound equipment stuff works with 7 because I also use my laptop with the same stuff hehe so I know it works.

tossing 32 bit or 64 bit, still some software not being able to run with 64 yet, this has me in a holding pattern, speed wise again 6 gigs ram and quad core in 32 bit should get it, but after 3 gigs any above that 32 bit will not take advantage of, so 64 bit will from what I been reading.


Just I was hanging on and not wanting to let go my poor old xp, the shoe still fits good, but a tad wore out.

Jimbo1
I've been running 64-bit since installing Win7 in Oct 2009. No regrets. IMO, it is a step backwards to go 32-bit. If there is software the does not support 64-bit, that software company is behind the times. Time to look at competing products.

If you are going new hardware, then Win7 compatibility will not be an issue. But if going with older hardware, it is best to check it out first with Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.

I've been running 64-bit since installing Win7 in Oct 2009. No regrets. IMO, it is a step backwards to go 32-bit. If there is software the does not support 64-bit, that software company is behind the times. Time to look at competing products.

If you are going new hardware, then Win7 compatibility will not be an issue. But if going with older hardware, it is best to check it out first with Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.


Nods wasting memory if I went with 6 gigs and stuck a 32 bit system in place.
I won't be surprised to see Microsoft support for XP extended (yet again). Still by far the world's most commonly used OS.
W7 will probably eclipse it within 5yrs time. Well in the western world anyway. Vista is obviously going to completely disappear …as it should :lol:
[attachment removed]

Can't remember where I found those results but similar figures can be found for the US (only) here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_o…erating_systems

Cheers,
Lee

I won't be surprised to see Microsoft support for XP extended (yet again). Still by far the world's most commonly used OS.
W7 will probably eclipse it within 5yrs time. Well in the western world anyway. Vista is obviously going to completely disappear …as it should :lol:
[attachment removed]

Can't remember where I found those results but similar figures can be found for the US (only) here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_o…erating_systems

Cheers,
Lee



Hummm I would have thought by now for W7 the numbers would have been higher than that.

Jimbo1

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI