This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

GLITCH! lost my windows!

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I wish I could give you a guarantee, but I can't. There is a good chance it will fix it but there is the possibility it won't.

If I was working on your computer, chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console is the first thing I would do. If there are file system problems, this will fix it most of the time.

If it doesn't fix it, then I would mount your hard drive in another computer and try to save all your data before doing anything else. If that worked, then I would download the utility program from the web site of the manufacturer of the hard drive and run the diagnostic to see if there is any physical damage. If not, then then I would do a Repair Install using a Windows CD of the same type installed on your computer.

I know most of this is not something you can do, but you can do the first part, which does fix this problem often (though not always).

I know this does not give you the reassurance you need but it's all I can give you. I don't think I would care to work for your boss though.
well, i don't have any alternatives with this job…. i was unemployed for over a year…i'm 60 years old and not all that tech savvy, so it is near impossible to get any job at all without proficiency in computers….. thanks for your input, i really appreciate it.
I'm fortunate enough to be retired, so my working days are over, unless Social Security or my pension goes down the drain. Please post back if there is anything we can do to be of further help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI