This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Programs copying to desktop

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I do not know if this is why I still have the same problem after doing a clean install maybe about six weeks ago. Before the clean install I had SP2, and now have SP3. Maybe I brought “IT” (whatever is copying to my desktop and Documents) along with me. Before I was online (when I did the clean install) I installed a few programs that I had saved on a CD. I had downloaded all of my music wavs to My Documents and then from there, I cut and pasted them into My Music Folder. Well, each time I did a cut and paste it made a copy of it, so I had hundreds of copies to delete; also, it is makes copies to the desktop when I forward power point, wav, etc. Or when I go to a site and save a picture to insert into a letter, the image also copies to the desktop. Also copies all into my C:\Documents and Settings\Anna Ruth Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Many thanks.
Hi Anna Ruth, Please clarify. 1. I believe that you are saying that (1) ONE extra copy is saved each time you copy paste. Is that correct. 2. Therefore the reason you have hundreds of items to delete is because the problem has occurred once for hundreds of files? Is that correct? 3. What Office Suite and Version are you using? 4. Do you have your Desktop configured for Active Desktop? If the answer to the first two questions is "No", then did you virus scan the CD or backup media before reinstalling? best regards
No, not quite correct. Say, I am in my email, either Yahoo or Hot Mail, and I forward a power point or a wav. A copy of what I forward gets copied to the desktop and to My Documents. I always play them before I forward, so maybe that is when it is copied. When I feel better tomorrow I will experiment. Also if I copy a jpeg from the Web and insert into Word the image I copied goes to the desktop, even though I copied it into my Word. And whatever it is also puts a copy into my documents; I have Microsoft Office 97 Professional Edition and have used it for about eight years with no problems on different operating systems. I only use the Word part of it.

Before I was online I did copy music into my music folder and at that time “IT” made many copies in my Documents folder of what I had copied into my Music Folder. So, I had a lot of folders to delete from MY documents Sounds confusing to me. 


No, I did not think to scan the CDs as I always scan my C disk twice a day with an antivirus, antispyware and spybot twice a day

Hmmm, Active Desktop. Do I get to that by right clicking on desktop or task bar? Tried both.

I am really tired so hope I am making sense, If not, let me know. Thanks for your help.




Hi Anna Ruth,

Please clarify.
1. I believe that you are saying that (1) ONE extra copy is saved each time you copy paste. Is that correct.
2. Therefore the reason you have hundreds of items to delete is because the problem has occurred once for hundreds of files? Is that correct?

3. What Office Suite and Version are you using?
4. Do you have your Desktop configured for Active Desktop?

If the answer to the first two questions is "No", then did you virus scan the CD or backup media before reinstalling?

best regards

sorry it took so long forme to get back. Was sick for a bit. Verizon threw me offline again recently. Anyway I now have IE8. In any event not going to be concerned about the copying to the desk top. It is still doing it. So will reinstall when I can. Thanks again. :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI