Hi Russ
I would say pay vs. no pay depends entirely on your surfing habits and needs.
I use entirely free security software, and haven't had any problems yet. But I
also have a very disciplined approach to surfing.
The most obvious benefit of buying a security suite, are usually better customer
service and support. Bought programs usually have auto-update which their
free cousins sometimes lacks, or they update more often. I have choosen my
free programs with that in mind, so all my real-time protection updates very often,
or at least as soon as new updates are available, compared to other free
alternatives.
One should also have hardware (RAM) in mind. As some programs use more resources
than other.
At the moment I use these security programs:
Avast Anti-Virus : Updates often, sometimes several during the day.
Comodo Firewall Pro. : Simply because I view it as
the free Firewall at the moment.
ThreatFire : Low on resources, updates often
Spywareblaster : Manuel update, but once a month would suffice
Spybot S&D : Manuel update, Immunazitaion only, no tea-timer.
Both Spywareblaster and Spybot S&D are passive, meaning they use no resources. Some thinks
that Spybot S&D are over the hills, but I say why not include it, as it uses no resources other than
a little space on the HD.
I also use Malwarebytes Anti-malware as a on-demand scanner, and I use various on-line
scanners as well. Such as
Linkscanner if I have doubts of a certain webpage.
But have a look in the link below in my signature,
Preventing Malware, for more choices.
Regards