I have the error in quotes frequently in my Event Viewer. I have researched it arduously for ages without coming up with any firm answer to the problem. My system is running exceptionally well, the error does not seem to affect anything that I can pinpoint, yet it is there so I would like an answer as to why if possible.
Only this week I had a checkup for Malware…thankfully clean as a whistle.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
Date: 8/03/2009
Time: 14:23:13
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: PC
Description:
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service LiveUpdate with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{03E0E6C2-363B-11D3-B536-00902771A435}
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
Windows XP SP/2/3
Pentium 4Intel P4, 3.0GHZ PRESCOTT ASUS P4S800-MX MOTHERBOARD
NVIDIA GeForce 6200
RAM 2GB
WESTERN DIGITAL 7200RPM
SONY, 3.5 FLOPPY DRIVE
80GB, HARD DRIVE (Used:19.2GB Free:55.3)
160GB SEAGATE INTERNAL REMOVABLE E:\DRIVE
NORTONS GHOST 12
LITEON DVD+/-R/RW,
16XBURNERDUAL LAYER,
Billion 7300 Modem
New 80GB HD installed 5th June 2007
To get rid of all remnants of the software. Norton products NEVER EVER uninstall themselves completely. Norton always leaves device drivers and other services running that are left behind.
Before doing any of this, pull up services.msc (start -> run) and look for the "LiveUpdate" service. Pull up the properties of the service and verify that it is the LiveUpdate service associated with symantec/norton products and then you have to green light to seek and destroy.
EDIT: Whoops.. I see that you have Norton Ghost.. You'll have to decide for yourself what to do with it. The error is a problem with the liveupdate service associated with this product.
That could be your problem. Have you set the liveupdate service to automatic to see if it resolved the problem? Something on your computer is telling that service to start or is looking for it, and it isn't getting the job done. DCOM is a framework for products to communicate between each other and quite possibly Ghost or some other service is trying to communicate with the LiveUpdate service which isn't running. Possibly this is something you set to manual to tune the system up a little?
Like you said, someone else may have more information.
This thread seems to suggest that the service comes set to "automatic" by default. Although I'm not sure on that. its worth checking out though if you haven't already. Good luck.
I set Live Update to Automatic and so far an hour has gone by without any errors at all.
I am back with the same problem as after reboot Live Update had set itself back to disabled in service.msc with same errors showing in Event Viewer.
Thanks for helping, although my machine is perfect in performance, I am more determined to fix this error with your help.
Hi Tallin. Is BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) started? That 0x80070422 error you get can also be associated with Windows Update and BITS not running is one of the causes.
That 0x80070422 error you get can also be associated with Windows Update and BITS not running is one of the causes.
No problems with Windows Update, (It is turned off) it is Live Update (Ghost 12 software) that gave me problems, but it seems to have settled down the last time I looked in EventViewer.
Just looked - every fourth action it is showing this error still -
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler
Event Category: Scheduler Events
Event ID: 101
Date: 13/03/2009
Time: 12:59:01
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: PC
Description:
Information Level: error
Initialization of the COM subsystem failed. Error code: 0x80070422
I just went into Services > System again and this is the result there also.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
Date: 13/03/2009
Time: 12:59:01
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: PC
Description:
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service LiveUpdate with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{03E0E6C2-363B-11D3-B536-00902771A435}For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
I checked Live Update and it was disabled, although I had it on Automatic before turning off the computer last night. Each time I reboot, Live Update re-sets itself to disabled. Now it is on Automatic the errors above have ceased.
Tallin have you by any chance tried uninstalling and reinstalling Ghost?
It would be a good step to try. If this is the only product that you use, I would uninstall it, then use the norton removal tool, and then reinstall it fresh to see if everything functions normally again.
@Appleoddity,
I would not do that, the EventViewer glitch is minor, does not affect the running of this PC in any way whether there are erros on it or whether there are not. Uninstalling and reinstalling Ghost is a big job and it is running perfectly.
Thanks for your suggestions, but I have been there and done that. Nortons is a crazy company; I went though it when I ran Ghost 10. You may not believe it, but uninstalling and reinstalling any version of Ghost requires a whole new registration and from India to boot…..
Once again appreciate your suggestions and post.
kind regards,
I did not turn off my PC last night, this morning there are no errors in Event Viewer at all either in Applications or System.
So, while I can keep Live Update on Automatic that solves my issue, however when I reboot or turn off my PC 'Live Update' resets to Disable which causes the errors!
Any suggestions how I could keep Live Update on Automatic….thanks.
kind regards,
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI