This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

XP-Home won'r resume from Standby or Hibernate

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

XP - Home machine. HP desktop a1530n. It won't resume from Standby or Hibernate. Once it's in Standby from either lack of use or using the START/STANDBY button when you try to wake it by moving mouse or tapping keyboard, the hard drive spins up and the Num Lock indicator turns on, but no further action is noted. It won't respond to keyboard or mouse input. The only thing I can do is to hold the Power button until it shuts down. When trying to wake from Hibernate, the Resume status bar comes up and fills with vertical bars as it should. Once the status bar is full, the machine stops and doesn't respond to anything. I had posted logs in the malware removal forum and was told that this machine is clean. I read on the web somewhere that updating the graphic driver might help - it didn't. I also went to HP's site to look for other updates and none were available.
Hi Dasanti,

Welcome to the Tech Forums here at WTT.

Sometimes if restarts itself or just hangs and won't respond to keyboard or mouse input. Maybe it's hardware.

From your HJT post with ipshortstuff, have you checked the Device Manager to see if there are any yellow or red warnings there.
  • Open My Computer
  • Properties
  • Device Manager
Another suggestion would be to check the following:

  • Right Click an open area of your desktop
  • Properties
  • Sreen Saver tab
  • Power
  • Check all settings to your liking
If no joy, then another volunteer may have a further suggestion for you to try.

Let us know

kind regards,
Dasanti, as already hinted upon by Tallin, I would first make sure I downloaded ALL the newest drivers for the computer from the manufacturer's website.

I would then make sure that ALL required windows updates are installed.

If the system still does not standby properly, I would suggest that you then install the flash BIOS update the manufacturer for your computer has provided.

Please be careful with the flash BIOS update and make sure you follow the instructions to the letter. If the process is interrupted or fails, it could leave your computer in an un-useable state. Proceed with caution.

However, I do see that you are referring to a desktop computer. In my personal experience, standby and hibernation mode has always been extremely problematic! It is my policy to always disable standby or hibernation mode of desktop computers. There is no need for this mode on a desktop computer and it causes more problems than it is worth. My humble opinion is that you disable these power saving features all together. Instead, allow you monitor and hard drive to turn off after a set period of time, but do not let the machine go into stanby or hibernation.
Thanks - I've checked Device Manager - all is OK. I've used the HP utility to check for updates - none were noted. Windows is up-to-date. I'm thinking it has something do with XP SP-3. I'm tired of messing with it. I'm turning off Standby and set the hard drive to turn off after an hour.
Dasanti, :thumbup: Excellent choice. I have my settings to turn off my Hard Drive and Monitor's after three minutes - works well. Standby and Hibernate experience here on PC's …….no no. kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI