This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer rebooting daily, seems to run slowly

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My HP Pavilion a1224n running Windows XP Service Pack 3 exhibits the following problems. 1. the computer sometimes reboots on its own and gives an error message that the system has recovered from a serious error. It does this sometimes more than once a day, other times it skips a day, but it definitely happens about daily on average, at random times in the day. When it reboots it takes a LONG time to reload, maybe about 10 minutes… but it seems like forever. 2. Sometimes while in hibernation, the computer will fail to communicate properly with the monitor… so that when you move the mouse to come out of hibernation, you can hear sound through your speakers when you click, but the monitor still says that it has no signal. To get out of it, you have to cut power to the whole system and restart, and then it works fine again. 3. Sometimes the mouse arrow will "stick" in one position for about 2-3 seconds, and then it will be good for about 10-15 seconds, and then it will stick again in a different place on the screen, etc… it can be resolved by a system reboot as well. I have received malware help in the malware/virus forums, but nothing significant was found, and it was recommended I pursue a Windows examination… Any advice where to go from here? Thanks!
[external image: Posted Image] Buffett,

Where is your PCPitstop test recommended by Ken545 from the HJT Forum?

Post the URL of the test then we can help you further.

kind regards
Recommended Fixes World Rank = Bottom 49% Test Description (Click each item for more Detail) Area Result Status Craplet Scan Config 9 Craplets Clear IE Cache Performance 105 MB Delete Temporary Files Performance 69 MB Check Browser Security Security Unacceptable Change Internet Receive Buffer Performance default Defragment Drive C: Performance 18% Reduce System Restore Capacity Performance 22892 MB Delete Tracking Cookies Security 41 Cookies Disable Firefox Saved Passwords Security Enabled Update Sound,video and game controllers Driver Drivers 6/7/2005 5.10.0.5128 Update Modems Driver Drivers 1/24/2005 6.10.1.0 Update Network adapters Driver Drivers 4/18/2005 5.[removed]
I don't know how to report the pcpitstop findings… I did not register on there. Do I need to register to be able to get a log file or something that is more useful for you?
Hi Buffett,

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the URL link back here into this thread for review.
URL Link is the address at the top of Internet Explorer immediatly to the right of the word Address.

Caution:

During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are "flashed" onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Please do not click on any advertisements within the PCPitstop site, we can assist you for free so they are not needed at all.

kind regards,
I also sometimes get a message that my ialmnrt5 driver has failed or something like that, and the colors get all messed up on the screen, and everything looks bigger and you can only see what normally would be like the bottom left quadrant of the desktop… it clears with rebooting.
Hello Buffett,

The very first thing I would do is defragment your C:\Drive as advised as 18% of it fragmented.

Then click the link you sent me, then click all the underlined items under Fix as advised and follow the suggested corrections for each item.

Also download and run ATF-Cleaner.exe by Atribune to clear all your internet temporary files and others.

It is 4 am here, I am off back to bed for a spell, but there is a huge amount to do to get your system running better for you. You can see this by just clicking from one heading to another at the very top of your report you sent me.

Well done in completing the test..Good job.

Best regards,
Buffett,

To update your drivers go here to this link as they are free. If you follow the updated suggestions on PCPitstop they are not free. FAQ

OR

You can go to your Manufacturer web site and get them for free. The Pit scan at least gives you what you need to update.

Best regards,
I tried to defrag and I let it run about 8 hours… it didn't seem like it was doing anything for about 6 of the 8 hours… and under Windows task manager I saw that 100% of the system resources were being taken up, and that windows defragmenter was not responding. I rebooted at that time, and I am wondering if I should try again?
Also, I want to use the Driver Max site you suggest and download their software… but I just wanted to make sure it's safe to do so before proceeding….

I tried to defrag and I let it run about 8 hours… it didn't seem like it was doing anything for about 6 of the 8 hours… and under Windows task manager I saw that 100% of the system resources were being taken up, and that windows defragmenter was not responding. I rebooted at that time, and I am wondering if I should try again?


Hey Buffet

You can download this defrag program:

Auslogics Disk Defrag

Its fast and easy to use. Just download it, install and run it.
When you start it up, all you have to do is select the drive you want
to defrag, and click "next". Ignore any messages about junk-files at
the moment from the program.

As for the Driver Max site, I can't help as I don't know the site. For that you'll have to wait on Tallin.

Regards Abydos
Hello Buffett.

It is most important for you to use ATF-Cleaner.exe, as you can see by your Pit Test you have 69MB of temporary internet files and other junk on your Hard Drive. Please report that you have used it.

The Defragger that Abydos gave you is very good, please attempt to use it, but the lack of free space on both your drives maybe the problem as to why you cannot defrag correctly. If that is the case, you need to free up your C:\Drive by getting rid of unwanted software and other data on the drive.

I have used the Driver Utility on many computers I look after, it is safe and free, and frankly I would not have recommended it if it were not….However if you are not having driver problems it is not your first priority to update the drivers at all, only do this if you are having problems with them.

Go to Device Manager, if there are any yellow or red warnings there, then you need to update the drivers
  • RightClick on My Computer if it is on your desktop
  • Properties
  • Hardware
  • Device Manager
  • Check for any red or orange crosses or alerts there
Reduce your System Restore and other items under the FIXES tab from your Pit test report. It is only a matter of clicking on each of the items with the big red cross beside them and following what to do. If you hover your mouse over each it will tell you what it is, then click on it and you will get instructions again what to do.

So to clarify, go to each tab at the top of your Pit Test and follow instructions to fix anything with a red cross against it. Your Drivers being the last of them unless you find problems with them as I have described above in this post.

Post back when you have completed the above………thanks.

Best regards,
YAY! My defragment is completed using the Auslogics Disk Defrag….. but… I still had the computer reboot this morning and say it recovered from a serious error. When I click on the error report technical ino, I get that these two files are included in the error report…

C:\DOCUME~1\HP_ADM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER51db.dir00\Mini120208-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\HP_ADM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER51db.dir00\sysdata.xml

When I send to Microsoft, they give me the following link to "help" correct the problem.
http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Respons…5d-c2ad990beaf5

I also have disabled a few of the "craplets" using msconfig, per the pcpitstop recommendation.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI