This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Cursor freezes after Standby

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Compaq D5s/C1, Windows XP Pro, SP3. After I put my computer in the Standby mode, it will power up to the desktop just fine, but the arrow cursor on the desktop is frozen and won't move. I have to click ctrl-alt-del to bring up the Task Manager where I can click the appriate keys to do a restart, which defeats the purpose of Standby. Why does the cursor freeze up, and what can be done to fix it? I got this computer used several years ago and it has always done this. Also, what is the difference between Standby mode and Hibernate? I have a thick book about Windows XP and no mention is made of either.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI