Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91910 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Dial up problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 markoid

markoid

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:05 PM

My computer has taken to dialling up automatically as soon as the machine boots up (when desktop shows). No connection icon shows in the sys tray and if I then start OE and hit the connect button it says 'cannot connect phonebook entry. Connection is already being dialled. Error 756' Any help appreciated.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hi markoid. To stop your modem from trying to dial out (autodial) any time your network connection (wireless or cat5 connected) is not active, do the following:

Control Panel
Internet Options
Connections tab
Select "Never dial a connection"

You can still use your modem whenever you want, it just will not try to automatically dial when your other connections are not working.

More info here: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=316530

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 markoid

markoid

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:53 PM

Thanks mate I'll do that. I was aware of that setting but have always had it set to autodial and redial if connection is dropped for massive (for dialup) overnight downloads. I don't know why it started to do this when it never used to. I'll change that setting... and thanks for the Microsoft link. Thanks for your time :)

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

You're welcome. I hope it solves your problem. Re: Massive overnight downloads ... get DSL or Cable broadband and you won't have to do that :lol:

Rich

#5 markoid

markoid

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

Hehe... yeh I wish! I am in forest in the bottom of a valley in rural Australia = no broadband, no mobile phone access.... some TV :(

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

Ah, I understand. Sounds like a fair trade of technology for location. What about a Satellite dish for TV? They also have internet access via satellite though I would imagine the upload/download delays would be significant, probably better than dialup though. Tallin, one of the other techs here at WTT is also from Australia though not in quite so remote a setting. Did you have any concerns with the fires there recently?

Rich

#7 markoid

markoid

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:53 AM

Unfortunately foliage... esp when wet reeks havoc with satellite signals so it is very dodgy where I am. It's mostly rainforest where I am so fire is rarely a problem , not at all like the hellish firestorms down south. 45 degree C temperatures (120f), 60 mph changing winds and open gum forests that have been through 8 - 10 yrs of drought.... a recipe for disaster!!!! Tragic loss all round and many traumatised survivors :( On the 'bright side' the Australian public has donated 150 million $ to the survivors, quite touching.