This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Dial up problem

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer has taken to dialling up automatically as soon as the machine boots up (when desktop shows). No connection icon shows in the sys tray and if I then start OE and hit the connect button it says 'cannot connect phonebook entry. Connection is already being dialled. Error 756' Any help appreciated.
Hi markoid. To stop your modem from trying to dial out (autodial) any time your network connection (wireless or cat5 connected) is not active, do the following:

Control Panel
Internet Options
Connections tab
Select "Never dial a connection"

You can still use your modem whenever you want, it just will not try to automatically dial when your other connections are not working.

More info here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316530
Thanks mate I'll do that. I was aware of that setting but have always had it set to autodial and redial if connection is dropped for massive (for dialup) overnight downloads. I don't know why it started to do this when it never used to. I'll change that setting… and thanks for the Microsoft link. Thanks for your time :)
Ah, I understand. Sounds like a fair trade of technology for location. What about a Satellite dish for TV? They also have internet access via satellite though I would imagine the upload/download delays would be significant, probably better than dialup though. Tallin, one of the other techs here at WTT is also from Australia though not in quite so remote a setting. Did you have any concerns with the fires there recently?
Unfortunately foliage… esp when wet reeks havoc with satellite signals so it is very dodgy where I am. It's mostly rainforest where I am so fire is rarely a problem , not at all like the hellish firestorms down south. 45 degree C temperatures (120f), 60 mph changing winds and open gum forests that have been through 8 - 10 yrs of drought…. a recipe for disaster!!!! Tragic loss all round and many traumatised survivors :( On the 'bright side' the Australian public has donated 150 million $ to the survivors, quite touching.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI