This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

dial-up connection window

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

The dial-up connection window keeps popping-up when working offline, and also when connected to a LAN. When it does this, it stops LAN connection. I thought at first this may be malware problem. Checked that out in the malware forum [see thread at: ], and doesn't appear to be malware-related problem. Any ideas why this is happening? Thank you.
To stop your modem from trying to dial out (autodial) any time your network connection (wireless or cat5 connected) is not active, do the following:

Control Panel
Internet Options
Connections tab
Select "Never dial a connection"

You can still use your modem whenever you want, it just will not try to automatically dial when your other connections are not working.

More info here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316530
Ztruker, Thank you very much. I'll follow those steps. One more question, if I may. The last several months, when I'm online, the connection cuts out after about 20 minutes. Then I need to reconnect. Previously, I used to be able to work for hours without interruption. Any ideas why that's happenning? Thanks again.
Losing your internet connection seems to be a very common problem that has many causes. Look here to get an idea: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=l…amp;btnG=Search

It can be caused by your ISP, program(s) running on your computer, hardware, corrupted/down level device drivers, misconfigured network settings, etc.

If you want to pursue this, please post a new topic in the Networking forum and I or one of the other folks here will help you with it.
I used to suffer the same with a previous ISP, though I have not for a few years with my current ISP. What I did when the problem was occurring was to set my email client to "check for mail" every 10 minutes. This effectively sent a "stay alive" signal to the ISP and prevented disconnection from inactivity. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI