Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

dial-up connection window

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 snowgoose

snowgoose

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:59 PM

The dial-up connection window keeps popping-up when working offline, and also when connected to a LAN. When it does this, it stops LAN connection. I thought at first this may be malware problem. Checked that out in the malware forum [see thread at: <http://forums.whatth...ew=getnewpost>], and doesn't appear to be malware-related problem. Any ideas why this is happening? Thank you.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:04 PM

To stop your modem from trying to dial out (autodial) any time your network connection (wireless or cat5 connected) is not active, do the following:

Control Panel
Internet Options
Connections tab
Select "Never dial a connection"

You can still use your modem whenever you want, it just will not try to automatically dial when your other connections are not working.

More info here: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=316530

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 snowgoose

snowgoose

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:00 AM

Ztruker, Thank you very much. I'll follow those steps. One more question, if I may. The last several months, when I'm online, the connection cuts out after about 20 minutes. Then I need to reconnect. Previously, I used to be able to work for hours without interruption. Any ideas why that's happenning? Thanks again.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:53 PM

Losing your internet connection seems to be a very common problem that has many causes. Look here to get an idea: http://www.google.co...amp;btnG=Search

It can be caused by your ISP, program(s) running on your computer, hardware, corrupted/down level device drivers, misconfigured network settings, etc.

If you want to pursue this, please post a new topic in the Networking forum and I or one of the other folks here will help you with it.

Edited by Ztruker, 03 May 2009 - 03:30 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

I used to suffer the same with a previous ISP, though I have not for a few years with my current ISP. What I did when the problem was occurring was to set my email client to "check for mail" every 10 minutes. This effectively sent a "stay alive" signal to the ISP and prevented disconnection from inactivity. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#6 snowgoose

snowgoose

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

Doug, Thank you for that suggestion. Pardon my ignorance, where is "internet client"? Thanks, again.

#7 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

In my example, I used Outlook. ("email client") but most any resident email client will do. Oultoolk_Send__Receive_Schedule.jpg
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#8 snowgoose

snowgoose

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:51 AM

Doug, Thanks very much. That's most helpful.