My laptop (win xp home, Inspiron 1300) was working ok.
I used Drivermax to update my drivers. downloaded and installed a few.
Tried to reboot laptop and so far the screen stays blank.(black) (been loading for ages)
It does boot in safe mode.
I have tried system restore but doesn`t appear to help (tried in safe mode)
Tried last known good configuration ..no luck
Please can anyone help as I am going abroad in 3 days and need my laptop.
I am using my PC at the moment and have downloaded the driver, I can transfer to my laptop via external hardrive.
Do I transfer say to desktop in safe mode and then just run it.?
thanks
Its on my laptop desktop in safe mode I get the message when I try to run it…
`This self extracting zip file is part of a multidisc file. Please insert the lsat disc of the set.`
`An error occured while unzipping.One or more files were not successfully unzipped. Error code is 110`
At the present moment I am having a hard time duplicating the error as the Dell driver site returns an error.
If you have successfully downloaded the driver I'd suggest un-zipping it on you PC prior to transferring to the laptop.
Dell lists these instructions:
Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) with Setup.exe File for R128346.EXE
Download
1.Click Download Now, to download the file.
2.When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP
users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In:
window appears.
3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
icon appears on your desktop.
Install
1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R128346.EXE.
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R128346. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3.The Self-Extractor window appears.
4.Click OK.
5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
window is still open, close it.
6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R128346 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.
Nope can`t get online with laptop, tried network/safe mode.
The driver downloaded to my PC is 32-bit self extractor module.
It has not downloaded as a zip file (at least I don`t think so)
Ok thanks I will try that.
I have been into windows defender (not that I know what it really is) and I came across this, don`t know if it helps.
Programs & actions name unknown 18/04/2009 20.14 could be around the time I was updating drivers.
Status…succeeded
Description…This programme has potentially unwanted behavior
Advice…Permit only if you trust the programme
Resources…Driver:tv
File…C:/windows\system\drivers\tv.sys
Category…not yet classified
Just a thought by which you can probably tell my PC knowledge is poor, however.
would it be a solution to download all the drivers from the dell website (47 listed) and transfer them to my laptop and install?
Or this just a silly desperate suggestion.
Or this.?
Step 2: Use the Roll Back Driver
Use the device driver rollback feature to reverse the consequences of having installed an invalid, incorrect, or corrupted device driver by restoring the previously installed driver.
To use the Roll Back Driver, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Run.
Copy and then paste (or type) the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
devmgmt.msc
Expand the appropriate hardware category that contains the problematic device. Double-click the device for which you want to restore the driver.
Click the Driver tab, and then click Roll Back Driver.
Restart your computer.
If you do not experience the issue after you restart, you have resolved the problem. If the issue remains, go to advanced troubleshooting step 3.
Hi Scudo
If you get the roll back driver option, it is worth a try.
As for downloading and installing 47 drivers I wouldn't recommend
under these or any other circumstances. As Jephree pointed out,
only update drivers if you experience problems or a particular software
/ hardware needs it to operate correctly.
Regards