This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

XP boots to black screen

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Dell Dimension 4300, XP sp3. When I boot the pc, it runs the normal windows is loading screen then goes to a black screen, Only the mouse icon is showing, and I can move it around. I booted in safe mode and it was black, had the mouse icon and had the "safe mode" showing in the corners of the screen. Any ideas? Thanks.

I have a Dell Dimension 4300, XP sp3. When I boot the pc, it runs the normal windows is loading screen then goes to a black screen, Only the mouse icon is showing, and I can move it around. I booted in safe mode and it was black, had the mouse icon and had the "safe mode" showing in the corners of the screen. Any ideas? Thanks.


Hi Ladyuxnay,

There are some light on the back of your dell that will help in finding the problem.

Look at the document at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst…des.htm#1101572

Check the light on the back of your computer, and see if the manual will help any with figuring out where the problem is.

Best regrads
Tonka
After posting this, we had storms and we lost power for 12 hours. I finally got the pc to start using the repair via XP disk, but after outage I start it, it goes to some weird page, then keeps restarting. I am trying the repair again and it just took me to C:/ so I am running my chkdsk again, but it is going very slowly. Will post again once finished.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI