This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Slow Windows Start Up

25 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi guys, I've had a look inside my laptop and there does appear to be some additional memory. I dont have it in front of me at the moment but will take a look and see if it says what size. I'll also check that is it 'clicked' in to place correctly. If it is, would it be possible that it is shot and replacing that would help or would that be unlikely? I've looked through the links and am happy that I would know which memory to get. Thanks for your continued help. LB
Hi, Yes its possible the additional memory module is u/s Here's two ways to check what is going on: 1 Right click "My Computer 2 Click on Properties 3 this will give details of your processor speed and the amount of memory in your machine, if the additional memory module is unrecognised (because it's become jarred free from its contacts or is u/s) the Properties will show 128MB (less the amount of your shared Video) ,as explained by Abydos. If the additional memory is corrected located and is full serviceable then you will see a minimum of 256Mb ( less the 8MB for shared video.) A second way of checking and also of obtaining useful information is to use the firm given by Rich (Ztruker)…Crucial, but this time visit: www.crucial.com click on the item to scan your computer (accept the Active X control as its considered safe from this site) and the Crucial scanner will run , only takes a minute or so, and it will then identify your existing memory, the type, the amount and specification, and will also tell you what you need to upgrade your machine's memory and give you a quote for the cost….. Like Rich I always have received good service from Crucial, but as always its your call on who you use to supply your parts. Its Ok just to use the Crucial site to see what is needed….. Regards paws
Hi Paws, (I think) GREAT NEWS! :woot: I took the back off, took the memory out and refitted it….it looked like it was sitting a lot further in than previously, so I was thinking maybe it had dislodged when carrying it or something. So, I rebooted and it errored. I then rebooted using the last good fconfiguration option, and it worked. Now, in the "My Computed" box (which opens up LOADS quicker), it shows 376MB of RAM (I guess this is 256 + 128 less the 8MB as mentioned). I'm really really hoping this is my problem sorted! I will reboot over the weekend a few times and see if it is fixed. I really cant thank you all enough for your help. Several of my mates have said "just buy a new one man, you're wasting your time"……which adds to how pleased I am to have fixed it (or at least, think it is fixed!). HUGE THANKS to you all for your suggestions and your help. Now I've got into it a bit, I think I might upgrade the RAM, even just to 512 or soemthing and then I can give this PC to either my lady or one of my nieces/nephews when I do get a new one. Thanks again, I'm disproportionately pleased with this right now! :yeah: All the best LB
Just to give you guys an update, I belive this is now resolved.

I had a look at the Crucial website for the memory and I have updated the 256MB with a 512MB. The machine does seem quicker once it is up and running (though still a little slow firing up, taking c4-5 mins…its very barable compared to how it was a week ago though!). One last question, but only if anyone knows off the top of their heads, the 128BM that is fitted as standard, could this be replaced with the 256MB that I have now replaced with 512MB, or is the 256 now just redundant?

So anyway, sincere thanks to everyone who has replied to this topic, particularly Abydos and paws, you've both been very patient and very helpful - thank both so very much.

There's no more of this for me ===>>> :pullhair: and a fair bit of this ===>>> :woot:

Right, on with protecting the PC again now…..

All the best.
LB
Hi Littlebro

Good to hear and glad we could be of assistance ;)

As for the 128Mb RAM block, I think you are stuck with it. I don't
think it is replaceable in that model.

Regarding the slow upstart, for starters, you could download this little
portable utility program, in order to weed out some programs
not needed on boot.

StartUpLite by Malwarebytes.org

Till next time :wavey:

Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI