This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

very very very slow computer

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi ! for the last two weeks computer is very slow but not always. It affects one or more of our three sessions in windows xp, but not necesserly the same one each days or during the same day. To open a window page it could take over one minute by pages. When it started even the arrow was moving strangly. Don't know what to do anymore. I tried some scans with Tomk from the malware team but didn't find anything. He refered me to your team and said that you may want to go in the hijack forum with the subject ''very very very slow computer'' if you went to see all the logs. Thank you!
Hello Papou, :)

I have read your HJT logs and posts over on th HJT forum. Already I can see how we can help you, but you must be cleared by TomK before we offer suggestios to you regarding why your system is so slow. I notice TomK is still to clear you to go so please let us know in this thread when he has finished with your logs.

We are not able to help you here as our suggestions may change your settings which is unwise while you are still being looked after by TomK.

kind regards,
Hi tallin ! :D Just by your first answer you brought back a smile in my face ( and the wife too). Thank you for tacking time to look a my problem. As for Tomk in malware team, we did some last try scan yesterday but couldn't find anything so he told me to contact your team. So yes I have been cleared by him. Let's try new stuff now!! Looking foward to work with you, thanks. Papou

Hi tallin ! :D

Just by your first answer you brought back a smile in my face ( and the wife too). Thank you for tacking time to look a my problem. As for Tomk in malware team, we did some last try scan yesterday but couldn't find anything so he told me to contact your team. So yes I have been cleared by him. Let's try new stuff now!!

Looking foward to work with you, thanks.
Papou

Hi Papou,

I see you are cleared by TomK so here we go to find why your system is slow. This is the quickest way for us to see what your system is made up of in detail.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution:

During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are "flashed" onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Report back with your Tech Express link and we will take it from there.

kind regards, ;)
Papou,

That is exactly what I wanted.

While you are waiting for my reply, please reduce your Sytems Restore as follows:
  • Right Click on My Computer on your desktop
  • Properties
  • System Restore
  • Highlight your C:\Drive
  • Settings
  • Reduce the slider down to 1% (1095MB)
  • Okay and exit out.
It will take me some time to compile a reply to you, however in the meantime please deframent your C:\Drive by closing all browsers running then:

  • start
  • All programs
  • Accessories
  • System tools
  • Disk Defragmenter
  • While running please do not do anything else on the computer
Take this all slowly. I will get back as soon as I can, but I have other commitment today. You did very well sending the Tech Express link, just click on the headings in the link and you will be able to learn how to read the PCPitstop test yourself over time.

kind regards,
Papou,

Firstly please do not click on any of the advertisements to the left and right of the PCPitstop scan. You do not need them, we can correct for free the few things needed to enhance your working computer.

Next I suggest you download and run ATF-Cleaner.exe by Atribune once a week to keep all temporary files and other items cleared in your system.

In addition to my last post, would you please consider doing the following to improve the speed of your great system. Yes, it is a very good computer with little wrong and we can improve the speed I am sure.

By now you would have defragged C:\Drive which would improve things somewhat. The Systems Restore suggestion would free up hard drive space only. Having more restored folders is not necessary.

You are a gamer I see, so speed is all important for you.

You have LimeWire installed, that is a P2P Network Sharing program that I do not advise and we do not help with P2p installations. I suggest you uninstall it. It is a sure way of attracting Malware/Spyware.

Do you use Windows live Messenger? If not uninstall it also.

Your HJT installation is old, I suggest you uninstall it and download and install the new version.

RealPlayer is my worst nightmare, it is a resource hogger, takes over your system with constant pop-ups asking for this and that (in my opinion), so I would uninstall it and download and install Windows Media Player 11.

You have three out of date Java Runtime versions installed, please uninstall them through Add and Remove. They are Versions 2,3,and 5. Always uninstall the old versions after downloading the latest which you have installed being "Java Runtime 6 update 7".

I also do not like Adobe Reader, it is also a resource hogger, so I suggest you uninstall it after downloading to your desktop Foxit Reader which is free and a much smaller program that does almost the same thing.

I notice you have two installations of Spyware Search installed, one on the 10/03/07 and the other on 10/01/08. Please look in your Add and Remove if they are both showing I would uninstall the earlier one.

Your Windows Updates look current, but please check through Windows that you have all the required updates on your system.

You have only 26 processes running which is a breath of fresh air, most folk have up wards of 40 to 50, which takes some time in paring them down to only the necessary needed. However we can improve this to make your system boot up, close down, and run more quickly.

When you have your PCPitstop test open, click on the heading Software/Processes, where it tells you in colored text about your processes running. If you click on each individually it will tell you what they are, and you can decide if you need any or all of any given section. I caution you to be careful, as you will read that some are essential for the smooth running of your system. There certainly are 6 there that you could consider disabling in Msconfig > Startup tab > untick/disable. You are only taking out the shortcuts here, so the program will start from manual when you need it when surfing the internet.

In the option list, there is one called SPEECH I have it disabled on my systems and advise it, but as you are French make sure you read up about it before disabling it as my first language is English and I do not need it at all. If you click on it, it will tell you why it is there and if you don't need it, then disable please. Anything underlined as you know you can click on and get the information about it, then judge what you want to really do with it.

Here is more information regarding cftmon:

ctfmon.exe supports speech input in Windows/Office.
In Office this process has been known to consume significant resources, especially processor time, if it is not configured correctly or is turned on by accident. If you are not using this, is safe to disable it.

When you have done all the suggestions above, please do another PCPitstop test and post it here again as you did the last one so I can see the improvement to your system. Hopefully you will also see it speed up a little by doing the steps suggested.

One of the suggestions in the initial Summary of your test is to Change Internet Receive Buffer.
Please do not use the tool advised for this as it is not necessary. Your internet download and upload speed look very good, so I would ignore it and not change a thing.

As earlier stated, you have a fine system.

Since I have started compiling this post for you I see you have defragged and corrected your restore points. Good work, please tell me if there is any improvement in the running of your system yet? Can I [external image: Posted Image]

kind regards,

In the option list, there is one called SPEECH I have it disabled on my systems and advise it, but as you are French make sure you read up about it before disabling it as my first language is English and I do not need it at all. If you click on it, it will tell you why it is there and if you don't need it, then disable please. Anything underlined as you know you can click on and get the information about it, then judge what you want to really do with it.


ctfmon will not turnoff with msconfig

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599
For some reason it looks like you have 2 spybot's installed and I noticed teatimer running in a couple of your logs.

Many security forums warn about that feature with good reason, it can interfer with malware removal, I find it can do a lot of other damage also.

AVG 8 is still rather buggy
Hi tallin!

Sorry I was busy for the last few days. Did some of the thing you told me,some I wasn't sure so I decided to wait a little bite. here is a new PCP:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=21056671

Now here the questions:

1- when you talk about limewire you say it is P2P, what that meen? If we keep it close , is it ok?

2-hjt was donwload on october 2nd and you say it's an old version , is it normal?

3-as for speech, like you said because I'm french I think I should keep it.

4-in PCP test open, software/processes. Regarding the 6 you said could be disabling, some I'm not sure what they are but Nero is my burning tool. So I'm not very comfortable disabling them.


As for the computer it's still the same, the speed come and goes. It's not better or worst. All we do when our session is slow, we reboot the pc and hope that the session we use is the fast one for now. Just now I change from mine to my wife's, because mine has open ok but internet was slow.

I'm not sure if I told you before but nothing new was installed when the computer decided to get slow few weeks ago. The only exception was an update for micosoft window. My wife reminded me that when it started we had problem opening the pc because it was closing it self. It was trying to open and then the blue square that appears when you close window xp was appearing and closing everything. That blue square is say '' gestion alim. '' in french so in english it should be something like '' gestion of power '' or something regarding saving power.

One last thing for today, a friend of mine suggested that since I have a lot of space that we don't use right now , maybe I should try installing a second window xp on it and see if this new one is doing ok. He said that this way I should be able to see if it's my software or hardware that need fixing. What do you think, is it logical?

Thanks again!

1- when you talk about limewire you say it is P2P, what that meen? If we keep it close , is it ok?


P2P means peer to peer. And keeping it "closed" won't do you any good, you can get severe viruses from it and not to mention its illegal. More Info on P2P:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer


Also I noticed you have IE 4.0, that's extremely old, I suggest you update unless you have a good reason not too.

You can also try a registry cleaner, it probably won't solve your problem but cleaning out the registry every know and then doesn't hurt.

Try NTREGOPT:
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

As for the latest version of HTJ you can get it here:
http://www.whatthetech.com/hijackthis_v2/
Hi Papou,

Before we continue to help you with your problem, I need to draw your attention to the following paragraph from the Terms of Use

We will not support or allow the discussion of any peer to peer (P2P) applications, except for their removal.

Please post back if you would like to continue with this thread when you have uninstalled Limewire.

Thank you.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI