This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

slow start up

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

At start up, PC has gotten slow. Also has audible noises ( sounds like morse code) coming from hard drive (not through speakers). Never had sounds before. Also noticed PC became slow. In the process of checking for viruses and malware. Also ran system restore to a few days prior but it didn't seem to help. This is what I have; Avast Commodo Threatfire ( had this but it didn't want to work right the other the day so it got ousted. I only ran it occasionally) SpywareBlaster Malware-bytes ( only run on occasion to double-check) Working on the full checks to the system. Will let you know results. :smack:
Hello and welcome back,

There is a link in my signature that may help you for a slow computer system. Please try it and post back if it helped you. You may like to check through all the links to assist.

For the strange noise coming from you Hard Drive, take a look at this link to make sure your tower is clean inside of dust bunnies.

Please let us know

kind regards,
I could probably knit a small dog with the dust that is probably in there. I definitely need to clean it out. But the sounds I hear are only present when the initial start-up programs run. Once Windows comes up, it all runs seemingly normal and the sounds stop.

I could probably knit a small dog with the dust that is probably in there. I definitely need to clean it out. But the sounds I hear are only present when the initial start-up programs run. Once Windows comes up, it all runs seemingly normal and the sounds stop.

We need to hasten slowly here, so I suggest you firstly do the housekeeping to eliminate dust bunnies then we can proceed from there.

How did you get on with the slow computer link in my previous post? Is there any improvement?

kind regards,
No. I haven't gotten to it. That will be a weekend project. Definitely a place to start. Also checking out the other threads you posted for me. I will let you know the outcome. Thanks
Hi

Just wanted to hear if you can discern the beeps individually?
Like, 1 short beep, then 2 long etc.

BIOS have a sort of morse code, that it uses to point out possible
problems. Having no screen to do so, it uses beeps. So if you can
post the sequence of the beeps, it is possible to locate the possible
problem. Just to give you an idea about what I am talking about here,
have a look at this: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

But the make and model of your motherboard is essential towards
this. If you have no clue, you can download Everest Home Ed. below.
The BIOS type could also be handy. All info found under "motherboard"
in Everest.
http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

This isn't the newest version, but it is sufficient for what we need.

Regards
Took care of the dust bunnies with the trusty air compressor (dialed down to about 40 PSI) . Also ran a check disc program at start-up. I think it repaired some files in stage 2 of the 5. I didn't oil the fan because it's running fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Shut it down a couple of times and re-started. No noises or strange screens. Start-up seems back to normal. Not sure what did the trick but it all seems fine. Once again, THANKS :yeah:
Hi hx35543, :thumbup: Thanks for the update. So glad your system is working well for you now. Make sure you do the housekeeping at least every three months. kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI