JaySee.
Since I don't have an Acer Aspire 3003LCi here at my desk, I am using the Online Acer Support/Solution references supplied here:
http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/por…s=&areaid=7
The manuals and solutions seem to be applicable to all Acer "3000" series machines.
The manuals and illustrations clearly indicate that the Memory (RAM) is accessed from the bottom (base) with the removal of only 2 phillips-head screws. The pictures illustrate that the RAM modules are located side by side.
I have found no mention of a separate location for RAM (for instance, you mention you read that a second chip might be under the keyboard)
I suppose your machine could be different.
_____________________
A few possibilities come to mind:
Your machine originally had only one of two RAM module slots filled when new.
You may have missed a second RAM stick in a second module slot that you overlooked close to the one you found.
There may be a second mysterious location for a second RAM module under the Keyboard.
This "under the keyboard" location was used in some laptops that I've seen, but not of your Acer Model.
I suppose it is possible, but not likely. But that is only my opinion from limited experience with Acer Laptops.
_____________________-
What to do?
Open the RAM compartment as indicated in the illustration from your manual.
Carefully inspect the physical appearance of RAM module slot(s) in hopes of identifying the second location close to the first.
_________________-
What to do?
Since your machine does not require "matching pairs" of RAM sticks, you could close up the compartment and Boot your machine.
If your system information indicates that you now have 1024mb RAM, then you probably have replaced the only stick that existed when new.
If your system information indicates 1024mb + 256mb then there is another RAM stick…. somewhere.
The online manual for your machine indicates access to RAM only from the compartment in the base and does not discuss removing Keyboard to replace a second Ram stick….. Therefore I am most inclined to have you carefully inspect the compartment in the base.
________________________
Did you purchase your soDimm RAM sticks from a local Retailer?
If so, you could always resort to taking the machine to the Retailer and asking them to insert the RAM.
Many/most Retailers will do so at no-charge or minimal charge.
_________________________
It is possible that one of our talented Techs will be reading this Thread and can provide additional information.
Best Regards