My son downloaded this software called gamevance.exe on to the desktop, but i don't think he installed the software. I ran a through scan on my computer and I could not find any infections. How do I make sure the software he downloaded was not a virus?
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_144428.htm Decide for yourself whether you want it on your PC. Do bear in mind that as you presumably don't know where he downloaded the file from, that it may not be the "legitimate" one.
http://virusscan.jotti.org/ and http://www.virustotal.com/ offer a range of scanners that will offer a second opinion, but bear in mind that even if they all come back clean, that the malware could be so new that it isn't recognized yet.
This doesn't mean that the file is nasty even if the scanners find nothing, but you should understand what no detections actually means. If in any doubt, don't install it.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI