This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Smooth gameplay, then starts to lag.

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

A game that I play(Cabal)l is starting to lag often now. I can play really smoothly for about the first 5minutes when I log in but then it starts to lag like hell for about 2-3 minutes. After the short period of lag, it goes back to normal but it keeps on repeating. Its normal, lag, back to normal, then lag again. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Also, I've tried downloading a different game and playing it. The other game plays smoothly all the time except for one moment when there was lag. I reformated my computer and tried playing but it still has the same problem.
[external image: Posted Image] thAi,

Can you give us detailed information following the link in my signature….thanks. We can then help you further. Most important, what RAM and Video card are you running and what is your maintenance program?

Enjoy the forum. :wavey:

kind regards,
Thank you :] I'm not that good with all the computer stuff so I might be a little slow on things :P I'm using Vista right now. My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT and I have 2g of ram. I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.60 GHz. It's a desktop and its only about a year or two since I've had this computer. And what do you mean by maintenance program? Also, I'm about to head to bed so if I don't answer then you know why D:
Hi thAi,

Your system is a good one. only one year old, so is it still under warranty?

As it is a desktop, have you cleaned out the dust bunnies since taking delivery of it.

A Maintenance Program is your Antispyware, Antivirus, temporary internet files to be cleaned weekly etc.

As a start download and run ATFCleaner.exe by Atribune, and run it weekly to rid your system of temporary internet files that build up when surfing the internet. Please read the information contained in the link before running the program to become familiar with what it will achieve for you.

You may also like to look at this link to see what weekly maintenance of a system is required to keep it running smoothly……

There is also this software HDTune. You can download and install to test your Hard Drive to make sure it is sound. It is a free trial of 15 days, but there is an earlier free version here, scroll down a little on the link to find it, do not click on any advertisement or any other installation on the link.

Keep us posted.

kind regards,
Hi. My computer doesn't have anymore warranty on it. The last time I cleaned out the dust bunnies was when I installed my new video card. As for a maintenance program, I currently use Avast and CCleaner. I scanned using both of them today and cleared whatever was necessary out. I also called my ISP today and asked them if anything was wrong on their side of the end. They said nothing was wrong and that I should try to contact Belkin for my router.
Hi thAi,

The last time I cleaned out the dust bunnies was when I installed my new video card.

Please let us know if you still have the lag problem after you do a thorough clean out of your dust bunnies, I do mine at least every 2 months.

I do not think your problem is a router issue. You are successfully connected to the internet as I see it, but let us know if you are having problems with your connection, then it maybe a router problem.

kind regards,
Hi again. I cleaned out my dust bunnies today but I still suffer from lag. I just finished installing "windows update" too but my game still lags. :[ Lately, I've noticed when I load up videos Youtube, it's not as fast as usual. But I'm not sure if there really is a difference in it.
Hi thAi,

Have you done all the suggested tasks in my Post #4?

My only other suggestion when you have completed them is defragmentation of your Hard Drive. How long is it since you defragged your system? You can use your OS defragger, or this link is a good one to have in my opinion. Please don't click on any advertisements in any links that you access.

Others will come by and maybe assist you, but please complete the suggestions already given.

kind regards,
I haven't done all of them but I'll start doing so now. I used JkDefrag before. Right now, I think I'm going to start working on the stuff you mentioned in Post #4 and then defrag overnight.
Alright, I did everything in post #4 but that didn't completely solve my lag issue. I think now my whole computer lags for a short time period, not just the game. As I am typing this, the letters come out really slow. Now the lag duration has decreased so I don't think its bad as usual. The lag doesn't last that long and is a little better than before. But still, I can't play any games to it's fullest potential.

Alright, I did everything in post #4 but that didn't completely solve my lag issue. I think now my whole computer lags for a short time period, not just the game. As I am typing this, the letters come out really slow. Now the lag duration has decreased so I don't think its bad as usual. The lag doesn't last that long and is a little better than before. But still, I can't play any games to it's fullest potential.




You are having a CPU lag? Not network lag? I would run your task manager and see what is lagging you out and bringing the processor up to 100% when this happens. Check your ram and video card ram. If your typing and it is slowing down somthing else in the background is hogging resources. Check your drivers and make sure you dont have some conflicting errors.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI