Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91803 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Metadata of email attachments

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Konfucide

Konfucide

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:49 PM

Hi! I would like to help my friend who is being spammed by her ex-boyfriend. She receives photos of her ex-boyfirend's girl and says not-so-good things about her. the catch is, the ex-boyfriend DENIES the ownership of those photos. apparently, he does not have any other email address, he claims. I would like to trace the metadata of the JPEG files in it. Is this possible? Since other documents have metadata, do JPEGs have it too? i tried exploring its properties, they're all blank, maybe he knows how to remove the metadata. Is it possible to know what IP did one use in uploading photos? I would like to establish that if the ex-bf have the same IP with the spammer. I don't know if these are possible. Thanks.

Edited by Konfucide, 01 March 2009 - 07:16 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 John B..

John B..

Honors Grad

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:32 AM

Hi,

Here is some information on hiddden data in JPEG Files:
http://netzreport.go...jpeg_files.html

Is it possible to know what IP did one use in uploading photos?

From what you are telling, he did not upload them but just added them to the e-mail, so this would not be a possibility.

I would like to establish that if the ex-bf have the same IP with the spammer.

First thing I would do is to contact the ISP and ask if they are allowed to give you the IP of a blackmailer :) They should have it on their server..

Please let us know.

Regards,
John.

#3 Konfucide

Konfucide

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:16 AM

John! Thanks for the information. I have learned that, it will be impossible for me to establish an evidence by just examining the photos' metadata. Because i would like to get at least the computer's IP from in which it was created/donwloaded/edited. Or could you suggest of any possible variable that can pinpoint spammer and ex-bf are the same? From what ISP do i need to ask persmission? My friend's ISP? Definitely its from the office. Is it their office' ISP? A company that gives access to their company to internet? Thanks so much!

Edited by Konfucide, 04 February 2009 - 02:23 AM.

#4 John B..

John B..

Honors Grad

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

Hi, The ISP is the company that provides the internet. A company like AOL. This is the party to contact if the e-mail address of your friend is <something>@<isp>, because all e-mail will go through their server. If your friend is using something like Gmail or Hotmail, you should contact that party for more information. Just tested a couple of things and I found a more easy way to check on the IP: to check the source code of the e-mail. The IP will be in the first couple of lines (can tell you where exactly) and you can compare those. If you want instructions for this, I need to know what e-mail application your friend is using. Outlook/Outlook Express or webmail. If your friend uses webmail please let me know which exactly (Gmail/Hotmail). Regards, John.

#5 Konfucide

Konfucide

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

hi thanks for not closing this thread. really? my friend's email is a yahoo mail. the one's who is sending her emails is from yahoo too. do you think this is possible? thank you, thank you!

#6 John B..

John B..

Honors Grad

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:39 AM

Hi,

thanks for not closing this thread.

We never close topics here, but it would be better to come back earlier next time ;)

really? my friend's email is a yahoo mail. the one's who is sending her emails is from yahoo too.

What really? You asked 'really' but I do not know what that refers back to. Note that you can quote my stuff by copying a sentence or paragraph you want to comment on and then in your reply put this around it:
[quote]blabla[/quote]
Makes it a little easier to read and understand ;)

Please let us know.

Regards,
John.

#7 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 57,171 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

True we normally don't close topics but this isn't something we're going to discuss any further here. Konfucide If what you're saying is true, (I have my doubts it is) your friend needs to contact lawinforcement not a help site. Giving you information to try and find someones IP address other then your own, just might not be legal on our part.

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom