Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Tracking email source

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

Not sure if this is the correct place to post. I have someone who has stolen some pictures of mine from my website, In real terms I dont suppose it matters too much other than the principle of the thing. I have contacted him via facebook to say please take my pic off as you dont have permission, that would probably have been the end of it except he wrote back...." F@@@ O@@ try and sue me. I thought if I could email him direct at least it may jolt him a little but as the contact is via facebook I cannot source his email IP, is there any other way to source this. I have contacted facebook re copyright but it will probably be a case of I said he said, and they have yet to get back to me. If nothing can be done I will probably just drop it after a few days. thanks if anyone can help.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hi, Have a look here:
http://blog.myiptest...p-from-facebook
Just a word of caution..... be sure before you start proceedings (under English law) that you can prove that you have copyright in the photo(s) that you say he stole.
If he says "no you stole them from me" can you provide evidence to the contrary?
Did you "watermark" the photos, or otherwise date stamp them.....if not, then why not? (these are the sort of questions that the District Judge will want answering.... can you prove that you took the photos and when? could he allege that he was standing just behind you and took a similar photo.at the same time?...... I am sure you will see the difficulty.

Having said that, theft of copyrighted material is a serious matter and any copyright owner is entitled to the protection that the law provides.
Some copyright owners will write to the alleged offender and offer a retrospective license to use the photo providing payment is made within 28 days at their usual rates, this is often in the region of GBP £875 or so........ this can be a "wake up" call to the offender........ but if you want to use the law to prosecute your case then you must be sure of your ground, and be able to offer convincing proof.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

I have the originals in a folder that has the date of the folder and the properties for each picture should show the date taken., should also show which camera was used which he would not know. The name of my website was across the pictures and he has (or someone for him) has very badly edited the name out on photoshop, its very obvious they have been edited where my name was. I doubt if I will go down the legal route as he is using them in another country so uk laws may not be upheld. If I can give him a wake up call that would be sufficient for now as he is not costing me money and his copies are very poor. thanks for the reply. Scudo

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

Yes i understand... just offering the retrospective licence at say GBP £875, you could convert to his local currency for greater effect..... "failing which procceedings may be opened without further notice etc".....may be enough to fire a shot across his bows.... Good luck regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate