This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

E-mail harrassment [Solved]

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi All, I wonder if someone could help me! I have in past 3 weeks started recieving abusive e-mails from an untracable source. These e-mail's are personal attacks towards me (more bullying put-downs, than threats). they come from different e-mail address, all deleted when I try and respond. I think i know who the source is. I have recently started going out with guy, and have found out his ex is VERY high up in IT, and had, whilst they were going out, hacked into his computer and read all e-mails, etc. Basically am looking for advice on how to trace/source the route of e-mail's being sent. I also think she has gained access into my gmail account, as today I recieved an e-mail to my work address, which was my back-up address in my gmail info (i've recently moved jobs, so new e-mail address doesn't come up when I do a google search of myself). Should I be closing down my gmail account? I've reported it to the police, who I felt didn't really seem like they took it that seriously! Any advice appreciated! many thanks struan 20
Hi struan 20,

I'm sorry to hear about the abusive emails you have been receiving. This forum was created to assist users in removing viruses and malware from their computers, so unfortunately I cannot help you much with your problem unless you would like me to check your computer for the presence of malicious software.

I have a few things to suggest. An email's header may reveal the IP address of the sender. The IP address will give you limited information such as the organization that the IP address is registered to as well as the general geographic location of the user/organization.

If you suspect there might have been unauthorized access to your gmail account, you can view recent account activity by going to your gmail page and clicking the Details link at the very bottom right of the page. This page will show you information about recent access such as whether gmail was accessed from a browser, mobile phone, or POP3 client (such as Outlook), IP address and location, and Date/Time of access. I would suggest you change the password to your gmail account as well. There is no need to close it down.

I hope this helps.
Hi There, Thanks very much for replying to my query! I think this person is so high up in IT that they have managed to manipulate the IP address, is this possible to do? As IP addresses in different locations in England. Thanks for all the advice. Cheers
Hi struan1920, No problem! Yes, it is possible for someone to manipulate the IP address in an email header. It is actually very simple to do. This person could have also sent the email from a public wi-fi hotspot, instead of from their own network. Like I mentioned earlier, the IP address will only give you limited information.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI