This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

.EML files

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have Windows Mail as an email client. It is too long a story to explain why I am limited to that one without paying.

I have 3 accounts for one.

 

.EML files are outdated and I feel should not be used.

I think my client is causing me to be involved with this format at times as it is akin to Hotmail and works with Outlook Express. 

Thunderbird opens them but I am not savvy enough to use Thunderbird. 

 

Likely I do not totally understand these files but just do not want them in my life. They are particularly make trouble when I am involved with photos.

Another example of lack of compatibility is Apple. It  can be a problem too if the sender does not set  a photo to 'compatible".

 

So is there a way  to avoid  .EML files under these  circumstances?

TY

 

 

 

Peter,

 

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will come by.

 

Your question totally confuses me because I thought that Microsoft Mail, Outlook express, Apple mail, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and Kmail all use .eml.  Outlook is the oddball as it uses .msg but it can also read .eml.

 

Therefore, I don't understand why you are trying to eliminate .eml files when you say you are using Microsoft Mail.

I accomplished my  goal of changing from EML to .Jpg 3 out of 5 tries last night. I think I forwarded the .EML to my other email account and dropped down to save as .Jpg then saved to pictures and it was then Jpg.

I get photos at times from apple HEIC and solved that but an also get.EML and have trouble with them in my external drive photo album.

I think I will find the answer and post back if so.

If I confuse you again join the club. I'll try to clarify next post.

Tom

Sometimes I have trouble with .EML files like not being able to open them in my external drive photo album. 

 

I have been able to convert them about 70% of the time by forwarding and saving to pictures in the Windows library or Windows paint.

 

 

This is the quote I found on my phone but it is at a cost:

"Open the message and click Print. Select Universal Document Converter from the list of printers and click Properties. Go to Watermark and select Text label or Picture depending on your preferences. Click OK to convert your Outlook message to JPEG."

 

I am trying to do it for free.

 

I hope this clarifies the issue. If not it is ok if you want to leave it alone and if I am successful I will post back. 

I think I now understand the problem.  You can't extract the picture from the email.

 

Doing a little googling it appears it is a common issue with Windows Mail.  I've never used windows mail so was unaware.  It seems that the problem is Windows Mail.  I know Thunderbird doesn't work for you.  Perhaps a different, simple client is the answer.  Have you looked at em client or Mailbird?

I have thoroughly researched and although they say free they are not. I also have 4 email accounts for various reasons.

 

But you are right I do need a new client instead of Windows Mail. I could have gotten Outlook with Office Home and Business instead of Home and student for the same price  but I missed it.  Even then Outlook would likely have the same problem  being a Windows product.

Thanks for the help, Tom, and I'll keep you in the loop.

Peter

This issues don't exist in Outlook, nor did they exist on Outlook Express.  Windows Mail seems to be the ugly step child.

 

I have used outlook for many years.  Thunderbird is very similar so if you didn't like one, you probably won't like the other. You are correct that neither option I proposed will work with 4 accounts for free.  One is two and the other is 3.

 

One more possibility that I can think of.  Claws Mail.  It's open source - so completely free.  I don't believe it has an account limit.

 

Good luck.

I switched to eM Client about 8 months ago, the paid for Pro version ($49.95) and it is worth the cost. I have 4 E-mail accounts and the pro version handles them just fine.

 

It has some quirks but once you understand them it handles everything very well. Sorts all my incoming mail into target folders, has Groups (Distribution lists), manually move non sorted mail into folders via drag and drop, etc.

 

No concern about file types that I've run into.

 

Just a thought.

Hi Rich

Short story>long.

1st got locked out again but am ok now. Chrome memory of passwords fouled me up temporarily. :)

I read up on em client and watched videos; you are right about the simplicity  which fits me.

I did finally figure out how to manually convert .EML file to .Jpg without a third party.

The trick is the fact that the pik is embedded within the file. So open the file first and while viewing the pik, right click to get to 'open with' and select Jpg. You cannot play with the file itself as the portion you want is embedded.

So my .EML woes are behind me but if I decide on a paid app I will use em as you suggested.

Thank you.

 

@Tom - thank you also for the time you spent with me. It is appreciated.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI