This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Replacing Vista with XP

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an HP550 Laptop loaded with Vista … I'm having all sorts of bother uploading files (esp. itunes) - have changed the User Support Priorities but no luck. Decided to wipe Vista and replace with XP. Booting up from XP CD - hoping to delete present partition and create new one. Starts loading files then receive 0x0000007E error as well as pci.sys Datestamp error. Am at my wit's end with this — any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.
Hi Declan,

Is this Laptop under warranty by any chance?

I have googled the error mentioned in your post, here and here you can browse the results that maybe of some help until another volunteers come by.

Keep us informed of your progress.

kind regards,
Thank you for the quick response … 1. The laptop is still under warranty, and 2. I will update asap.- I had previously used mr. google, but maybe I'll find something else .. Thanks again.
Replacing Vista with XP will void the warranty.

The XP install CD will not partition an existing drive without completely wiping it, which means deleting the existing partition, then creating two new ones. You could then probably restore Vista to the first partition (C:) from the hidden hard drive partition or recovery DVD and install XP to the 2nd one. Be very careful you don't wipe out the recovery partition if that is how your computer is setup.

Also be aware that you may run into problems finding XP drivers for the laptop.

One possibile way to repartition the hard drive on the fly would be to use GPartd.

It's a Linux base partition editor that does much the same thing that the pay for Partition Magic does. Just make sure you have a way to recover of things go wrong.
The STOP error could be because you are running a SATA hard drive in that laptop and you have not loaded the SATA drivers. Most likely you can forget about the SATA drivers and just change the options in the BIOS to make it work right. However, the specifics of how that laptop is configured in the BIOS is beyond me. You would have to change the SATA mode to standard IDE, or non-raid. Being that it is an OEM machine there is probably exactly one option or maybe two that have anything to do with SATA, so just toggle them around until it works right. :) Drivers for the HP computer will be non-existent. I like HP, but I really have to say that I'm extremely disappointed with them on this subject. They are in Microsoft's pockets and have not provided XP drivers for any Vista machines. You'll have to download the drivers manually from the manufacturer's website, starting with the chipset of the laptop. Good luck, because I'm a highly skilled technician and it took me hours to perform this job successfully. Kudos to Dell, and Acer who both have provided XP drivers for their Vista machines. HP, Compaq, and Toshiba (the worst) get two thumbs down for that decision.
Thanks Ztruker and appleoddity, I've already downloaded the necessary XP drivers, and will check out Gpartd tonight. I'm not sure exactly what you mean about SATA v IDE v non-raid, but will also check this out tonight. Thank you both again - as soon as I have anything positive to report I will do so.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI