This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Attach and Freeze!

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

There are two USB slots/connectors available on the front of this tower, and two on the rear. I have been able to use the front ones to load photos. Using the same USB connector with a memory stick causes the same 'freeze' of the cursor that adding a Nikon scanner does to one in the rear. The computer will not respond to Control-Alt-Delete, and the only way to exit is to cut the power. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :wacko: Peter
Hi Peter,

I am not entirely sure this link will help you, but it cannot hurt in clearing your present USB ports. I know it helped me when I had a rough patch with loading photos from my digital camera to Picasa recently.

USBDeview is a small utility that lists all USB devices that currently connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you previously used.
For each USB device, extended information is displayed: Device name/description, device type, serial number (for mass storage devices), the date/time that device was added, VendorID, ProductID, and more…
USBDeview also allows you to uninstall USB devices that you previously used, and disconnect USB devices that are currently connected to your computer.

Keep us posted how it goes.

kind regards,
First of all thanks for replying. I did download the utility you suggested, and while it was full of information it didn't leap to my understanding. It didn't show any named device, i.e. Nikon scanner, or 2GB memory stick that had ever been or attempted. That unfortunately is the level to which I am. My plan: [these may not take p lace until Sunday as my wife has things for me to do.] 1] attach the current working USB device which downloads photos to a different port to see if it works there. 2] if it does than attempt with the Nikon scanner. 3] if it doesn't then try the scanner in the first working[?] port 4] these are obvious ways of starting, but I have been lazy, because I hoped there was a simpler answer. I assumed that plug-and-play meant that attaching new hardware was simple. Obviously not. thanks again, Peter
Peter,

Here are few links that you could check out, particularly this first on re your AutoPlay. I remember when I had the same problem as you are experiencing, my AutoPlay would not work either. Repairing it also contributed to helping my USB issue.

Here is another useful link that I used when researching this problem.

Another link that also was helpful for me, and may help you, but #3 For Windows XP is not in my toolbar as noted. I rightclicked on Properties and continued with the instructions.

All of these sites I found with a swift google initially when I had your problem some time ago.

these may not take place until Sunday as my wife has things for me to do.

Now that is not unusual is it? :oops:

Keep us posted if any of the above help you find the answer.

kind regards,
Well, time passes when you are avoiding a computer hookup problem. Thanks for the various sites, but they, while interesting, don't seem to apply to this problem. Or maybe I don't understand the USB Devices list. It shows as connected my current scanner, Seagate storage device, Epson printer, but doesn't show the Dell keyboard I am using now. XPAutoPlay doesn't seem to apply here, although I tried looking in Control Panel, which did not list the Nikon scanner when listing devices. For fun I tried the Wizard for new hardware. As soon as I powered up the Nikon the cursor froze, and I couldn't start the Wizard. The only way out of that state was to turn off the power supply. Fortunately the 'Digital' USB device for downloading photos still works in both front outlets. I have misplaced, as usual my memory sticks which cause the same reaction. At one point in the past six to eight months both memory sticks worked. Is that a clue? Thanks for continuing with helping me. Peter
Hi Peter,

I am sorry I have no other ideas for you except to do a SFCScannow as shown below:

Click on Start then Run, type sfc /scannow and press Enter or click Go. If any missing or damaged files are found, they will be replaced from files on your XP CD, which it will prompt you for. If no problems are found it just exits.

Others may come by to assist if the scan above does not help your system.

kind regards,
Hello Peter, :wavey:

Well, time passes when you are avoiding a computer hookup problem. Thanks for the various sites, but they, while interesting, don't seem to apply to this problem. Or maybe I don't understand the USB Devices list. It shows as connected my current scanner, Seagate storage device, Epson printer, but doesn't show the Dell keyboard I am using now.
XPAutoPlay doesn't seem to apply here, although I tried looking in Control Panel, which did not list the Nikon scanner when listing devices.
For fun I tried the Wizard for new hardware. As soon as I powered up the Nikon the cursor froze, and I couldn't start the Wizard. The only way out of that state was to turn off the power supply. Fortunately the 'Digital' USB device for downloading photos still works in both front outlets. I have misplaced, as usual my memory sticks which cause the same reaction. At one point in the past six to eight months both memory sticks worked. Is that a clue?

Thanks for continuing with helping me.

Peter


I have a question about your keyboard, have you tried establishing a connection with your keyboard through the other USB ports and run a simple keyboard test, here is a link to download a good keyboard tester, you can delete the program after use,(you will only require this download if your computer does not have a keyboard diagnostic tool) see if the keyboard shows up on the devices list when changed to a different port or when there is nothing else in the other USB ports.

To delete the program:-
Click Start > add/remove programs > keyboard test > remove

PS: Why did I find this topic posted in What the Tech Community > Meet and Greet > Attach and Freeze!
Is it posted somewhere else aswell ? if so can someone post the link here in this thread, thanks !

Jkc73
Thank you for any input. I only mentioned the keyboard's status as an indication of how little I understood the results from the USB scan/search. If you think it worthwhile I will do the necessary crawling. The problem is quite strange to me, and I can't think it a result of malware as nothing else seems to be wacky. And the strangeness of memory sticks that once worked well freezing the machine. Shouldn't the Add Hardware Wizard at least be allowed to TRY and install the new scanner? The software for it installed properly. I also wonder if I am posting in the proper section. Do you have any thoughts about that? Thanks again for your attention. Peter

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI