This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Standby not working correctly

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have Windows XP Home. When I click "Standby" at the Shutdown stage, the monitor turns off but the hard disk does not stop. Can you advise why this might be? Thanks
Hi MickM,

I believe this may be due to a setting in your power options. I'm currently using Vista at the moment so i can't guarantee these are the right instructions, but you need to right click on your desktop and go to properties. I 'think' you need to click on the Screen Saver tab at the top. At the bottom of the menu there should be an option for 'Power'. If you click that and report back with what your hard drive is set to?

Many thanks,

'Bob
Hi Bob, the monitor and hard disks are set to NEVER, but the options are various times in minutes starting with 3 and 5. However, the monitor goes into standby when I click on STANDBY at the shutdown, The disks continue to run though. The settings are the vsame as another PC I have, and that works fine. Incidentally, there is a POWER OPTIONS in the Control Panel which gets to the settings you are referring to. .
Hi Mickm, i've not forgotten about you. I will post back tomorrow with help/advice. I'm off to bed now since i've been repairing a friends PC for 4 hours after i got home from work and i'm working tomorrow too. Sorry for the delay. 'Bob

Hi Bob,

the monitor and hard disks are set to NEVER, but the options are various times in minutes starting with 3 and 5. However, the monitor goes into standby when I click on STANDBY at the shutdown, The disks continue to run though. The settings are the vsame as another PC I have, and that works fine.
Incidentally, there is a POWER OPTIONS in the Control Panel which gets to the settings you are referring to. .


Hi again MickM,

I think you've answered your own question there. In the original post you say the Hard Disks keep running when you're in standby, but you have checked the power options and the hard drivers are set to 'NEVER' turn off.

'Bob

I have Windows XP Home.
When I click "Standby" at the Shutdown stage, the monitor turns off but the hard disk does not stop.
Can you advise why this might be?
Thanks


How do you know the hard drive is not turning off?

Options for how and when your system goes into Standby can be found in power management settings, but there are NO options in there that would cause it to only turn off the monitor and not the hard drive. Standby is standby.
Are you getting any Error or Warning Messages?
Particularly application event IDs 1000, 1500, 1517, 1524
These occur at "shutdown" sometimes if there is a problem, but I do not know if they relate to "Standby"

Have a look in your Event Viewer, then let us know if there are any warnings occuring at exactly the same time as you put your machine into Standby.

Best Regards,
You are absolutely right. In fact I can hear the fan!! Should that stop (it does on our other PC)? There are no untoward messages in the Event Viewer. Thanks.
Is the Hard Drive activity indicator light on or flickering during this condition?
How long do you hear the fan?
Does it "increase" in volume when you go into Standby and then later slow down?

Please post to our Malware Removal Forum, indicating that you want a Baseline Checkup.
Read here. Post here

You'll "probably" find that your machine is clear of any malware, but let's be sure.

Post back into this thread when finished in Malware Removal.
It may take a couple of days to get a reply. Their volunteers are very busy.
Please be patient.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI