Windows xp freezes during shut-down
7 min read
I would recommend to switch to Avira because it is light, efficient, free, small and does not interfere with any legitimate processes. One more reason is to check if AVG is the culprit or not. Let us know what way you want to pursue.
– Mohit
It hapened again, few minutes after I send the last post.
![]()
I don't want to uninstall AVG (as Arthur suggests) becose last time update was 30MB and that's quite heavy to download with dial-up. But, if there is no other option…
Hi.. Did this last incident occur after AVG and ZoneAlarm were turned back on? Or, were they both off still?
Might I suggest you turn one or the other on at a time and see if the problem occurs. It may be either one of these programs, but if I had to bet I would put my money on it being ZoneAlarm.
Also, where did you get the drivers for your modem? Did you follow the directions on that website exactly, or did you "interpret" it so it was done right for your hardware. The instructions on the website are about a wireless adapter and high-speed internet.
When reinstalling drivers, I would certainly recommend using the newest drivers from the manufacturer's website. You would download the drivers first, then uninstall all previous drivers/software for the modem, and reinstall the newest driver you downloaded.
They were both off.Did this last incident occur after AVG and ZoneAlarm were turned back on? Or, were they both off still?
I didn' follow instructions exactly because, as you say, I have modem for dial-up. I've opened Device Menager, Modem, Driver tab, Uninstall. Then restarted computer. Windows found new hardware and installed it. I do not have manufacturer CD because my friend gave me just the modem. I'll look on the manufacturer's website.Also, where did you get the drivers for your modem? Did you follow the directions on that website exactly, or did you "interpret" it so it was done right for your hardware. The instructions on the website are about a wireless adapter and high-speed internet.
When reinstalling drivers, I would certainly recommend using the newest drivers from the manufacturer's website. You would download the drivers first, then uninstall all previous drivers/software for the modem, and reinstall the newest driver you downloaded.
Hi!
I tried to update driver using the one I downloaded from US Robotics site, but Windows said I already have the best driver.
Did you uninstall any old driver or software pertaining to the modem first? Add/remove programs for anything pertaining to USR robotics modem. And, in device manager right click the modem device and uninstall it.
If you still have a problem, there is a way around this, and if someone else active on this thread could post in with that info. it would be great. I have gotten around that before, but I can't think of how off hand and I don't have a way to demonstrate it at the moment.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI