This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Problem with new SATA Drive

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

After about 8 years, my old IDE hard drive finally burned out on me last night. I decided to buy a SATA one while at comp USA today rather than to stick with what seems to be a slowly out-dating technology. I get home, pop it in, plug in the SATA cables and the power supply cable, and nothing happens. It isn't letting me get into the bios while the hard drive is plugged in. When I unplug it, everything boots like it should but without a hard drive that really doesn't help. I can get into the bios without it plugged in and I changed it to boot from the CD-ROM first however that still didn't do anything. I noticed that there are no options in my bios that pertain to SATA devices. My IDE CD-ROM shows up and my old IDE hard drive used to show up. The hard drive is getting power s I know its not dead. Could the SATA cable I bought be bad? I can't figure out whats wrong so any help would be much appreciated.
I must ask: Your board is 8 years old and supports both IDE and SATA as is? Did you try clearing the CMOS then restart to enter the BIOS and load default settings?
The motherboard is newer than the old hard drive i was using. I took the battery out to reset the CMOS and then I reset the BIOS to default settings and it still isn't working. If i have the hard drive connected on Startup, the comp just sits at the first screen, I can't do anything, not even get into the BIOS…I have to disconnect the hard drive to do that. I need help!
hi, As far as I know you should at least be able to enter the BIOS. with the SATA drive installed. If you can get in the set up look for options to enable SATA, plug cable in the first sata port on the board. there could be other settings that may need changing also. If you have the users manual I would consult that or visit your board manuf. website for tips/troubleshooting. Even the HD manuf. web site also will have good info about installing SATA drives.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI