You started this thread off saying you were considering reformatting. Well we now have some more data for you to consider.
Your computer appears to have been infected by a backdoor trojan. These programs have the ability to steal passwords and other information from your system. If you use your computer for sensitive purposes such as internet banking then I recommend you take the following steps immediately:
Use another, uninfected computer to change all your internet passwords, especially ones with financial implications such as banks, paypal, ebay, etc. You should also change the passwords for any other site you use.
Call your bank(s), credit card company or any other institution which may be affected and advise them that your login/password or credit card information may have been stolen and ask what steps to take with regard to your account.
Consider what other private information could possibly have been taken from your computer and take appropriate steps
This infection can almost certainly be cleaned, but as the malware could be configured to run any program a remote attacker requires, it will be impossible to be 100% sure that the machine is clean, if this is unacceptable to you then you should consider reformatting the system partition and reinstalling Windows as this is the only 100% sure answer.
If you wish to reformat then please let me know in your next response.
Tomk;
I was told I was being too paranoid and "cop-like" when I wanted to have someone look at her laptop after her "date" played around with it and he turned out to be kind of a "wack-job" if you know what I mean (hence the no longer dating). I guess just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they really aren't after you and Dad does sometimes know what he's talking about. But I'm going to refrain from saying "I told you so".
First, I will run Kaspersky's online scanner on my desktop when I finish this just to be sure. What's the chance this could be spread to my desktop without showing any signs since I've been transferring files back and forth during this repair attempt?
Second, I would welcome your sage advice as to what should be the next and safest step to take with the laptop . It sounds as though you're leaning towards a reformat and re-installation.
Lastly, what are your feelings about McAfee's Security Suite (provided free by Comcast for its subscribers)? Obviously, it failed to pick this infection up either by blocking it of detecting it after the fact. While I'm come to know everyone has their own idiosyncratic preferences, can you recommend, preferably freeware or open source, a good setup of security program(s) or is McAfee okay but with some added help like "ThreatFire" (installed on my desktop along with WinPatrol or something similar? I've come across some rather exotic suggested combinations of programs and want to get your take. Also, could you recommend a good password program?
You've been a big help and I have to say again how much I appreciate your assistance.
Gerry
Does your daughter use this computer for things like online banking?
If the answer is yes she has, then my recommendation would be to reformat/re-install.
If the answer is yes she plans to, then I would probably still reformat/re-install because you appear to be prepared.
If the answer is, the computer is used mainly for writing letters, checking email, online shopping, and playing solitaire, then I'd go ahead and use the machine that is clean as far as we can tell.
The risk is real that some remnant still exists. But there is some risk even if we hadn't found a backdoor trojan.
Here is something for you to read to help with your decision: When should re-format?
There is nothing wrong with McAfee's Security Suite. Free is often a good price. If you had to pay for it, I would definitely suggest you look at the option of free programs. As you say, there are lots of opinions on which program is The Best. Almost all have their good and bad qualities. No program will protect you by itself. The real key to computer security is the person at the keyboard. We've got a write here at WTT where we've tried to address, in a nutshell, alot of thee questions. I normally recommend people read it as part of my "You appear to be clean" speech. Preventing Malware - Tools and Practices for Safe Computing
Tomk;
Thanks for all your help. She agrees that the quickest and safest bet at this point is to reformat and reinstall. I've printed out the security instruction from your link. Whether she'll pat attention is another story.
Fortunately she's backed up her data files and I've scanned all of them.
Again, I thank you for your advice and assistance.
Gerry
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI