Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Running Scan/defrag

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 08:36 AM

Hi all - for Windows '98 My niece has been having problems with their home computer being very sluggish and acting quirksome. However, she said that they have never done a defrag since they got the computer, which is about 4 years ago. Yeah....it will be some fun. :blink: I could go and do all this for her as she asked, but, I told her if she was going to use a computer she should learn how to use and take care of one properly. Being teenagers, they download a lot of music and stuff such as web games, etc., so I can only imagine what all they have lurking in all the nooks and crannies. Thankfully, they have an AV and said they do run that now and then..... <_< I'm certainly not an expert, but, told her I would help as much as I could. Thus, I've sent her the website info for SpyBot and Adaware and told her to download and install them, delete all the Temporary Internet files, Recent, odd Cookies, old History, clean up the Startup (they never did any of this before, didn't know about it.....), run the SpyBot and Aaware a couple of times to get rid of any residual pests, download, install and run the Scan/Defrag program. Then download and install Zone Alarm. Also, she said they have a program called AIM, but, I am not familiar with that or what it is used for so I don't know if this is something ok or not. Since they have not done much, if any, maintenance on the computer all this time, I was wondering if there is anything else I should instruct her to do to get the computer in proper condition before running the scan/defrag? :unsure: Best regards, :wavey:
aka Jan Il MS MVP - IE/OE Smiles are meant to be shared, that's why they're so contagious.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 MrCharlie

MrCharlie

SuperMember

• Malware Team
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 09:15 AM

SuggestionForBasicMaintenance

#3 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 09:31 AM

Hi MrCharlie -

Thank you very much for the website info, the additional information will be very helpful.

This is also a very good Scan/Defrag program that I found out about on the WindowsME newsgroup a while back. It really works very well.

http://home.earthlin...defrag/main.htm
http://www.blueorbso...frag/index.html

Thanks!
aka Jan Il MS MVP - IE/OE Smiles are meant to be shared, that's why they're so contagious.

#4 MrCharlie

MrCharlie

SuperMember

• Malware Team
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 10:10 AM

Thanks, this is what I use ( but it's a big download). Good Luck!

[url="http://http://www.webattack.com/get/dkeeperlite.shtml">DiskKeeperLite"]DiskeeperLite[/url]

#5 MrCharlie

MrCharlie

SuperMember

• Malware Team
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 10:17 AM

Sorry bad link
DKLite

#6 cnm

cnm

-

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 12:35 PM

Also, she said they have a program called AIM, but, I am not familiar with that or what it is used for so I don't know if this is something ok or not.

AIM is the AOL Instant Messenger.
Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2005 Posted Image
The Boot camp at Spywareinfo.com

#7 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 02:59 PM

Sorry bad link
DKLite

Thank you MrCharlie, I really appreciate the information. I'll talke a look at it and let her know.

Best regards,
Tink :wavey:

#8 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:04 PM

Also, she said they have a program called AIM, but, I am not familiar with that or what it is used for so I don't know if this is something ok or not.

Ohh...... :huh:

Thank you very much cmn. Sheesh....I would never have guessed 'that' one... :weee:

#9 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 05:53 PM

Ohh...... :huh:

Thank you very much cmn. Sheesh....I would never have guessed 'that' one... :weee:

I'm really sorry.......I keep getting your handles backwards.... :oops:

Tink :(

#10 Norseman

Norseman

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 09:44 PM

It depends on what OS you have on your computer but if you have 98se like I do that ME Defrag program is GREAT! I can defrag my hards drives in a few min instead of a few hours like before.

#11 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 06:14 PM

It depends on what OS you have on your computer but if you have 98se like I do that ME Defrag program is GREAT! I can defrag my hards drives in a few min instead of a few hours like before.

Hi Norseman!

I have WinME..and the Scan/Defrag program works very well for me, as you say, within just a short time since I have been using it and run it at the least once a month.

And, Koldbear and the rest of the Scan/Defrag Team are so very helpful if you run into any problems. They are totally dedicated to the program, and their response time is very timely. It is truly great to have a program that is so congenially and well supported. :)

Best regards,

#12 Budfred

Budfred

Malware hound

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:++

Posted 30 November 2003 - 06:27 PM

If general maintenance is not good, I would wonder if they have updated the antivirus in the last year or two. If they are running it, but it isn't updated, chances are good that they have some malware on the system with the file sharing that you say they do. Also, it fhey are using Kazaa they installed spyware with it and probably a bunch of other garbage...

#13 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 07:30 PM

If general maintenance is not good, I would wonder if they have updated the antivirus in the last year or two. If they are running it, but it isn't updated, chances are good that they have some malware on the system with the file sharing that you say they do. Also, it fhey are using Kazaa they installed spyware with it and probably a bunch of other garbage...

Hi Budfred -

She has McAfee which updates automatically. But, she had not actually run it for the past 5 months. Hooolllyyy Cowww! :blink:

She mentioned several months ago that she was using Kazaa and I blistered her ears on that one, that it was like inviting Typhoid Mary to be a house guest, but, not really sure she cleaned as I advised. That is why I had her install and run SpyBot and Adaware twice to be sure.

I have come to the conclusion that teens these days come in two catagories; Functional ....and Dysfunctional....

The Functional create computer programming. The Dysfunctional provide the criteria for the Functional....and...why most don't provide follow-up support. ;-))

Thank you very much for your additional information.