This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] mst122.dll downloader Virus removal help

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Good afternoon and Happy New Year! I have a virus problem on my parents computer. The filename is mst122.dll (it is in the Windows system32 folder) and the name is Downloader. Norton Antivirus realtime protection found it last night and so today I ran the scan in safemode and it says that the file is quarantined. Now last weekend it found one too, helper.dll trojan (Found in program files / Common), so I ran it in safemode and it was quarantined and then I deleted it. I'm not sure if that was the right or wrong thing to do but I'm sure you'll let me know. So how do I start to remove the virus? Do you happen to know where the virus could have come from? I haven't downloaded Spybot yet because I don't know how to use it and will wait to hear what you have to say. I'm on another computer and so I can give realtime updates. Thank you for any help in advance and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.
[external image: Posted Image]

DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix, Vundofix, or HijackThis fixes without supervision.

Doing so could make your pc inoperatible and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data.




Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

You might want to print these instructions out.

I suggest you do this:

Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.


Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

(If you use FireFox or the Opera browser
To keep saved passwords, click No at the prompt.)

It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time or two.

Next:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected .
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
  • Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot.
Also "copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI