This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Why locked?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am sorry to be a pest but I really want to know what would cause a password not to work in Vista. I did not forget m password! But, suddenly it will not work. Is that caused by a bug, a corrupt file? Should I be looking to do a repair install? Can I do a repair install with Vista?
Hi BagelAnne, HFCG gave you all of the correct information that is legally available to remedy your situation. We will not post additional information that might come from questionable search sources or which have been advocated elsewhere for easy use by people who may have questionable motivation. We would really like to help you, but have no further legitimate resources to offer. We know you have been a loyal member here since '05. We believe you and we do not think you have questionable motivation. We hope you will continue to be a member who benefits from these Forums, and who contributes as well. If you have a favorite local repair shop where you could take your machine, I would imagine that they would be able to easily verify your product information and probably help you in a very few minutes. Otherwise, a repair install may be your best supported option. Doug
BagelAnne, I would suggest you take the advice given here on WTT and Help2Go which is exactly the same in this case…. Good luck, and please post again if you have other issues we can assist you with…. best regards,
Thank you all for your replies.
Thank you Doug most especially for recognizing my member status and my motivation.
I will be seeking help with this problem but I am most interested in the "why" of the problem.
I did not forget my password. Why is it not accepted all of a sudden?
Hello Anne. The reason you may be locked out of your computer is due to user corruption. Here is a quote from another article:

Vista Lockout
I have had problems accessing my Vista PC and on two occasions my password has been rejected with the message 'User Profile Service Failed the log on. User Profile could not be loaded'. Not being fully computer competent I have had to resort to seeking expert help but he could not provide an explanation as to why this has happened.
Neville Gent, by email

It's called user profile corruption and why it happens, no one knows. Fortunately it is quite a rare event but it has been happening every since Windows NT. You have either been very unlucky or there is a more deep-seated problem that is going to be very difficult to diagnose. The corrupt files are in the Windows Registry and it is possible to repair them manually, if you can get into the Registry, however, unless you've had the foresight to set up a second administrator account that can be difficult to do. There is a simple workaround, though, and that is to start the PC in Safe Mode and carry out a System Restore to an earlier date. To do that just press the F8 key immediately after switch on the Advanced Boot Options menu will appear. Select Safe Mode at the top of the list and when it has finished booting go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore and follow the prompts.

Original Article

Hope that helps. :)

– Mohit

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI