HI….
I have a computer that is running Windows 7……….I am trying to put it back to factory settings, however the software that came with ……(it came from a company called 'Misco' …….which was a package that set the computer to be 'netsafe' and for a learner with a parent account)………is preventing me from doing so.
On the desktop page there is a learner account……a parent account….and a Misco account
I normally go in through the parent account….and put back to factory settings that way…if I ever need too.
However….I have forgotten my password………..also…..the password for the 'Misco' account is not working!……The tech support has long gone.
I try to go in by starting computer…and tapping f8….to get the options……I go through the steps…it asks my to choose and account…..the learner account does not have the rights….so I choose the Parent account……….and I do not know the password…..arrrrggghhh!…………Surely there must be a way around this?…….Can anyone help?
Regards
techcurve.
Passwords? No we don't participate in activities that circumvent system security.
Even when sincere and legitimate requests come from regular members such as yourself.
Sorry.
I've never had any dealings with this "Misco" company, though they seem to be well established as an OEM supplier/builder in the UK.
I would think that the software they may have provided via CD/DVD along with the machine, would possibly have the capability of reformating and re-installing the Operating System to Factory Original status.
You should be able to get at least that much information from a brief Tech Support phone call to Misco.
Technical Support 0800 294 4516
[removed]
FAX 0844 493 5308
_________________________
However, if you are worried about preserving content and files you may have created and stored on the machine, you will do well to use Linux Puppy as a bootable live operating system which would be sufficient to copy and save any files you wish to preserve.
Best Regards
Thanks for repying Doug.
That is sad and frustrating…………..it didn't come with any cd/dvd……
(Please forgive me if it appears I'm ranting…I'm just trying to get clear as something seems unfair to me).
I didn't realise there would be a legal issue.
Its my computer…registred in my name etc…………I always used to do it………..put it back too factory settings, as and when. I set it up with, thier software to be 'net safe'
so my children could use it……….I changed the parent accounts password, to make it all safe and to keep it that way. ( I apologise if I'm repeating)…..I've forgotten it, ( as one does sometimes), ……..I thought there was a couple of taps of a certain key, before windows starts, to by pass start up vanities.
Then it could be restarted without the Misco nonsense, and just re formatt as windows 7 normal.
Its a normal, easy genuine mistake to make…….how come I gotta pay a penalty?……….This is caused by Misco settings……….They have finished the package deal…..surely they are responsible for leaving us with a clear computer?
To re formatt it back to normal windows 7…… must be straight forward and simple enough. And surely its my right, and I do not need to pay for the privalage.
Best Regards
techcurve,
You make good sense.
I sympathize with your entire message.
But the computer builders and software publishers really have placed specific and irrevocable obstacles in the path so that the owner of a machine must follow specific original equipment manufacturer/publisher rules when restoring to factory original state.
Yes, in previous versions of Windows, it had been possible to prompt Administrator Account on the username login screen with the simple key-stroke combination of ctrl-alt-del. And since many/most computer users had neglected to password-protect the default Administrator account, they could gain access to their machine by simply pressing Enter.
That mechanism is no longer available in Windows 7.
And while it is possible to cause the default Administrator account to appear when logging in, the work to cause this must be done when already logged in to a user account with administrative privileges.
Therefore, any such procedure is not available to you, since you are presently unable to log in to Windows in the first place.
Generally it is not a good idea and not recommended to cause this type of change in your Windows 7 system.
___________________________
From what you have stated so far, it appears to me that you want to resort to formating and reinstalling Windows 7 in order to start all over again with a factory original fresh start.
The CD/DVD media which may have been provided by Misco, "should" allow you to do that.
*** Keep in mind that format and reinstall "will" destroy any saved files, documents, pictures, video, tunes, etc. that you may have saved on the Hard Drive of this machine.
If you do have valuable files that need to be preserved, you can use the bootable live CD of Linux Puppy to run a linux operating system with which you can copy and save those files to external media prior to reformat and reinstall of the Misco factory restore operating system.
Here's a link to a fully functional Linux Puppy Live from which you can create using a second known-good computer to burn the bootable .iso image of Puppy.
For information about how to use any of the CD/DVD media which Misco may have provided to restore to factory original, please use the link or phone number I posted above.
I am sorry that you have encountered this difficult stumbling block.
Best Regards,
Doug
Hi again Techcurve,
As to your machine coming without CD/DVD software backup…
Darn!
I would think that Misco would provide such disks, but may only have them available as an added expense item.
Other computer manufacturers do similar by making the CD/DVD available at a modest price, typically around $30.00 US
gives you a freephone number that works, just tried it, to contact their tech support. of course seeing how it's out of hr's just got usually recorded type message saying office is now closed.
For my clarity….what are my options?
At the moment I have three options on start up…'learner'…(I can gain access to this)…..'Misco'…..(Never been able to get into this)……'Parent'…(Forgotten the password).
As I've said I normally go in through the parent account.
I want to re gain administraters rights, so I can configure it.
Is my one and only option to contact Misco?
If so what is my most effcient approach….moreover when I phone them do I ask for a disk or shall I tell them the issue….so they can unlock it……….
Naturally I'm trying to avoid finding myself in this predicement again.
Or is there another option?
techcurve
yes your one and only option is to get in touch with misco, we can't help you regain admin rights with that pc.
just tell them what you've told us, that the pc works fine but you can't log on as an admin with the parent account because you've forgotten the password.
it'll probably mean you proving you own the pc by giving some personal details but i'm sure they will be able to walk you through the steps to regain admin rights with the parent account.
i'd guess it'll mean using the misco account to log on as an admin, then either change or remove and create a new parent account that will give you back the admin rights you've lost by forgetting the password.
now make some restore cd/dvd's so if something like this happens again or your hard drive fails, you can always restore it back to factory state using them.
Many OEM computers have a feature in Security Center which instructs the owner/user in how to create DVD emergency rescue disks which can be used to return the machine to factory original.
The above procedure is "destructive".
That term implies that:
– all data and saved files will be lost
– all Windows service packs, updates and patches will have to be reinstalled
– all installed programs will be lost and have to be installed freshly
– all of the original "trialware" crapola pre-installed on the machine will appear again.
Such "rescue disks" do not usually have the ability to boot into Repair Console to facilitate repair short of complete reinstall
___________________________
Other options
Windows 7 BackUp
Macrium Disk Image Backup
Acronis Disk Image Backkup
I like Acronis, though it is not free.
However, "if" you happen to have purchased a Western Digital or Seagate Hard Drive, you probably received a free limited copy of Acronis.
Drive image backup and restore has the ability to preserve a sector by sector exact image of your machine, its configuration, installed operating system, installed applications and utilities, and even all saved documents.
Highly Recommended.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI