This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

lost control panel

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I am using Windows XP and have lost my control panel. What happens is I receive an error about not having the rights. I am the administrator on this computer. I am also unable to run regedit, gpedit.msc. I was able to boot in safe mode and log in as the Administrator and create a new user, that user gets the control panel and all the rights allowed to run regedit, etc. What can I do to fix this problem? Thanx Lisa
Lisa, welcome to WTT.

The simplest thing to do is keep the new user. Copy all your data from the old user to the new one. Test for awhile to be sure all is well, then delete the old user and all it's files.

See here for info on how to do this: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

PS: If you don't like the name of the new user, create another one that you do like and follow the above directions then delete both the old user and the one whose name you don't like.
These kinds of problems (corrupted user account) are usually caused by
  • VIrus/malware
  • Failed install of some software
  • Power failure
  • Powering off the computer without shutting down
  • Running a registry cleaner (#1 cause from what I've seen)
  • Editing the registry and making an oops
  • Gamma rays (just joking)
We may be able to fix it but I suspect it will take some time, a lot more that it would to do as I suggested and use the new account. If that's the path you want to pursue, let me know. I'll need more info though.
  • What happened around the time this occurred
  • Did you install any new hardware
  • Did you install any new software
  • Did you run a registry cleaner or edit the registry
  • Did you have a power failure or power off the computer without shutting down
You can also look at the Doug Knox web site. It has fixes for quite a few of the problems you mentioned so would be worth trying.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI