This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

registry settings problem

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I need help! Not very computer literate. I have Windows XP Professional. My burner is a TSST Corp. DVD+RW TS-L632D (8X). Firmware is up to date. I use iTunes 8, Roxio 9, and Proshow Gold 4.0. I tried to burn a 16X Memorex DVD+R to create a ProShow Gold slideshow. Couldn't burn it. In another forum, it was suggested that I download cdgone into my registry. I did this. That fixed the burn problem in Proshow. HOWEVER, now when I open iTunes I get an error message saying, "The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for improting and burning CDs and DVDs are missing." iTunes recognizes the drive and I can download CDs into iTunes but I can't burn CDs. Also, now Roxio does not recognize the drive (no drive detected error message). My system recognizes the drive. Tried removing and reinstalling iTunes many times. No go. Tried to repair iTunes in Add and Remove Programs. No go. Tried removing iTunes, cleaning the registry with eusing, and reinstalling iTunes. No go. Apple has a manual registry fix which includes modifying the upper and lower filters in the registry. BUT I didn't have upper and lower filters anymore. I added them to the registry. performed Apple's fix. That still didn't work. Found another fix for iTunes to add gearaspiwdm to the registry. That not only didn't work, but my computer wouldn't start and had to be opened with the previous configuration. I have the gearaspi driver in my computer. I'm thinking I should write a file reversing cdgone (I have the file), but I don't know the proper commands. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You may have to get a tool to remove the registry entries for each program that still doesn't work (back it up first though, the reg that is)

The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third party package still required will then have to be re-installed. For more information on this and other possible causes, see the “Problems” section of Alex Nichol’s Burning CDs in Windows XP article.



Hmm… seems that when they "suggested" you to to the cdgone, they forgot one very important line, see below:

“My CD drives have vanished (from Explorer, Device Manager, etc.)”

This happens quite often if one of the third-party packages has been uninstalled. They add references in the Registry for modules which they use, and these references fail to be removed, leaving Windows unable to find the files apparently needed for CD devices at the next boot. There is a simple Registry patch to correct this (download it here). Before using the patch, be sure to back up the Registry. After using the patch and rebooting, the drives should reappear. Any third party package that is still required will then need to be re-installed.


They should have suggested this first

This problem also may arise if there is underlying trouble with the Input-Output system of the machine: for example, interactions with controllers like Promise or Highpoint, or with special drivers. It may be worth trying a change in the DMA settings for the device in Control Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manager. Under IDE controllers, double click on the Primary or Secondary IDE Channel concerned, then click the tab for the Advanced Settings page.



I would say try this, Fully uninstall (go in and make sure each folder in "program files" for the specified program are gone too) all the programs that do not work with your burner, then (if your handy with this type of stuff) unstall the cd/dvd r/rw/whatever from your device manager, then reboot and if it doesnt find the drive, go start > control panel > add new hardware, then reinstall the software.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI