This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

DVD/CD Drive not reading

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, My PC is giving me an error code 19 message (corrupted registry files?) when I load DVD or CD into the drive -it says 'please insert disk into drive K' . The two drives (CD/DVD Writer and CD/DVD) worked fine some months ago when I last used them. I have since relocated the PC, and all appeared fine until I tried to play a music CD the other day. I then saw some software called 'Regcure ' which according to website fixes error code 19 problems -I paid $29.95 for the privilege, downloaded scanned and fixed 1900 problems it found. However it didn't fix the registry files apparently as the problem still persists. Has anybody any ideas about this. Bear in mind I'm no PC expert! Thanks -Ray
Good Morning and :welcome:

We here at WTT do not under any account recommend Registry Cleaners. I am sorry you wasted your money, but I think you have hosed your registry to the extend that you now have the problem posted to us.

I would suggest you do a System Restore back to a date before you ran the registry cleaner you purchased. Please do not run it again as you may only do more damage to your system.

To run your systems restore, please do the following:

  • Start
  • All Programs
  • Accessories
  • System tools
  • Systems Restore
  • Follow the promps from there
Post back if you need more assistance.

kind regards,
Hello, thanks for that. -I've restored back to a safe point, although the drives still do not read, still giving error code 19. I've uninstalled and reinstalled devices witrh no luck. Any ideas? regards Ray
Hi wilhelmima44

The thing we need to do here, is correcting the registry
changes that reg.cleaner program have made. But that
involves you getting in to manually delete the entries
needed. Before we go ahead, I will advice you to backup
your registry, using this program:

Erunt

Download and install this tool. Then run it.
Use these guide lines on how to use it for backup.

Erunt Backup guide

Next, please follow the steps on this page, on how to manually delete upper and lower filters
in your Registry.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?…p;Product=winxp

Expand the + sign next to where it says: "On this page" (first entry)
Click "Manually delete the registry entries"

Follow the steps provided in the guide. If you have the possibilty of printing out the instructions,
it would be a great help for you.

After you have rebooted, try the drive.

I won't be online for the next couple of hours, but I am sure someone can take over, if you
run into troubles.

Regards Abydos
Hi wilhelmima44

Sorry, my bad :blush:

To access the reg.editor:

Goto Start
Choose RUN
type: Regedit

Regards Abydos
Hello, I have located registry editor and followed the instructions and looked for upper/lower filters on details panel but they do not appear -the guide says it may need another approach -any idea why the filters aren't there? regards, Ray
Hi wilhelmima44

Hmmm, ok that sounds kinda weird to me. But the guide does
mention if not found at all, you should take alternative steps.
Which we will do. :)


Sometimes burning programs replace those filters, or
remove them entirely. You should try and uninstall your
burning program if you have one, reboot, and then look
in the regedit if present.

If present, proceed with the steps in the guide for deleting
those, before you re-install your burning program.
It might be a good idea to download the installer for your burning
program, so it is ready at hand.

If still no joy, we will have to run a system file check.
Follow the guide on how to run it.

SFC

Regards Abydos
Hello my friend, Thanks for getting back so fast. I decided to reboot anyway, and YIPPEE! both drives are now present and working!!! I'm so grateful for your help- you are the kiddy! Kindest regards, Ray

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI