This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

I'm Romless

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So,
I downloaded Itunes a month or so ago. The same time that I downloaded it, I also find a virus on my computer. I run Malware and get rid of some things, but not all of them. At this time, I realize my DVD-Roms are no longer noticed on my pc. If I put in a dvd or cd, nothing happens. I go to device manager and there are two neat little yellow triangles with exclaimation marks on the dvd-roms. I click to disable and the re-enable, but I only have the option of "disable". I update my drivers and it says they're updated. I scan for new hardware, it says everything is fine. I delete them, scan for new hardware, puts them back with the exclaimation marks. I can't get rid of the virus, but I revert to the last installment of Itunes. MY DRIVES ARE BACK! I try to load new songs to my Ipod but it says, "Oh, your playlists were made with a newer version of Itunes!" I reinstall the newer version. Bye bye drives. I go to the malware forums to get help getting rid of the virus. Eventually, virus is gone. They try to help me get my drives back but no luck. They then tell me to go here. Here is the malware thread, so you can see what we have already gone through.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s…mp;#entry564616

Can anyone help?
Typical iTunes garbage. Solution = Uninstall. Problem solved. Its Apple's way or the highway. They aren't interested in making software that plays with anybody other than a Mac.

Its Apple's way or the highway. They aren't interested in making software that plays with anybody other than a Mac.

Not really, but it sure seems that way at times. Of course limiting themselves to Macs or other Apple products only would not be a sound (no pun intended) financial move - not with 1 billion Windows users out there.

My biggest complaint is all the other useless junk that get foisted on our systems when you install iTunes! :(

That said, "Uninstall. Problem solved" is pretty much it. Or at least, uninstall, reboot, and try installing again - this time opting out of anything extra you don't need. That's all I can suggest if Rich's suggestion does not work.
Sorry. I don't have a very good attitude about iTunes and this particular problem. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to resolve this issue - and a client of mine was so insistent upon getting it working right he called and PAID Apple to tell him there was no solution. He did this while standing next to us. iTunes does this all the time - and the only answer is to remove the upper and lower filter garbage it puts in and that breaks iTunes ability to burn discs and causes an error message that you have to ignore every time you start iTunes. Then I look at that support thread from Apple and see the same useless - its not us - answers.

Sorry. I don't have a very good attitude about iTunes and this particular problem.

I don't either. Not since I let my visiting daughter connect her iPod to one of my machines and it took forever to get it "clean" again.

he called and PAID Apple to tell him there was no solution.

Yeah, that's sad, if true. Not sure I would automatically believe their tech support any more than I would Dell's, HP/Compaq's, or my ISP's. The problem is, the vast majority of Windows iTunes users are not having problems. So I imagine no one is holding a match under the developer's feet.

That said, the link from Apple Rich provided does offer several possible solutions. Were they all tried?

Of course if me, I might stop at Step 1 of Solution 3. ;)
So, got rid of all that GEAR carp** and got my drives back. I was going to reinstall but the newest drivers say 2011. Wouldn't that just be the same thing that screwed everything up to begin with? Why do I need it?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI