This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

buffer overflow

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've been getting this warning a few times a day. I just got a thumbs up on a HiJackThis cleanout. I had a trojan and lots of startup garbage. That's all clear, but I still get this problem. I don't understand what this means. "McAfee has automatically blocked a buffer overflow. About this Buffer Overflow File: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE Buffer overflows can cause legitimate programs to fail. Other programs that experience buffer overflows, however, can be used to harm your computer, compromise its security, and damage valuable files." I guess McAfee is doing its job, but I never used to have this happen. What should I be doing?
Hello,
Did the malware experts have you clean out your temp folders?
This is one thing that can cause a buffer overflow.
Please download Ccleaner and follow the instructions to set it up.
When it is set up open the program and in the right hand bottom cornet select run cleaner.
Select yes to delete the temporary files.
I downloaded CCleaner again. I have used it before… maybe that's why I never had this problem before. I still don't really understand what is causing the buffer overload. Do all you guys get this problem if you don't Cclean? Could it be that McAfee just started protecting against this?
It may sound strange but did you download / import any video files when you started receiving this error. I have searched on your issue a bit and some of the most effective solutions have been to install the K-Lite codec pack or to uninstall Java. But all the "victims" reported one common thing, they downloaded a video file before they started receiving the error. I don't know if it will work for you or not but it is well worth the try.

Hope that helps. :)

– Mohit
My java was up to date with no older versions on the system. I did install the K lite codec pack, which revealed multiple defects and missing bits. I have not had a problem since. Thanks.
Glad you got it resolved Centaur and thanks for posting the solution. I am sure someone else will find the solution helpful. :) Please feel free to ask any more questions or doubts you may have. – Mohit

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI