Hello - I'm having problems with my CD drive. When viewing "My Computer" the drive doesn't even show up. It can open and shut, but it won't recognize any CDs.
I've tried troubleshooting through the Control Panel, and even tried uninstalling and then reinstalling, but this is the message I keep getting:
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
Does this mean the entire drive is bad, or is there something internally wrong with it trying to "find" the drive?
I also have an active discussion going on with another technician on this website about some malware problems. I didn't think these two would be related, but could they be?
Thanks for your help.
What you need to do is download the latest version of Hijack This here and then scan but do not fix anything yet. Save the scan to a log then copy and paste the results into a new thread in the "Hijack this logs and problems forum" on the main forums page here.
After you do that, might look in BIOS and see if its recognized there or not.
thanks for your response, but i fixed another way:
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). 2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} 3.On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK. 4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} 5.On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK. 6.Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance. 6.Restart your computer.
i think this fixed it . . .