System Restore stopped working

QUESTION:
I can't use System Restore anymore. If I try to start it, I get an error message that says "System Restore has encountered a problem and needs to close." I could use System Restore before and it was a great feature. How do I fix it? Thanks! - Edward T.

ANSWER:
It sounds as if System Restore may have become corrupted. You can try reinstalling the feature. Here's how:
  • In Control Panel or Windows Explorer, click Folder Options and then View tab
  • Under Advanced Settings, scroll down and find "Show hdden files and folder." Check the box.
  • Find "Hide extensions for known files types." Uncheck that box. Click Apply, OK.
  • In Windows Explorer, find your Windows folder (usually on the C: drive but not always). Navigate to the inf folder and open it.
  • Find a file named sr.inf
  • Right click the file and select Install.
Important: This creates a new installation of System Restore, but it will delete any restore points that you had created previously.