This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

[Solved] Juliet made me post here!

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

That is awesome Juliet! I love it. I am sure I should just send this in a pm but glad you are still around and not fully retired! 

Paws! 

 

Thanks for the help. I have done so and what I have received is the following. Please bear in mind that one of the games my son downloaded is not in this list and it is the one we think could be/is the offending. 

 

counter strike or something like that.

 

I tried again but the only thing I had was the same date and no others. I have the normal options that seem to load when the sys restore loads but I am not versed in what to do there, 

 

Thanks a TON

Are there any dumps (.dmp files) in C:\Windows\Minidump?
Is there a C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP file?
 
What version of Windows 10 do you have? 1803 17134.xxx or 1809 17763.xxx?
 
You can download and create a bootable USB flash drive using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool from any Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 computer. You can then boot the flash drive, take the Repair my computer path to get to a Command Prompt and run

 

chkdsk X: /f against the Win 10 boot drive. X: may or may not be C:, you'll have to look. Use the letter for your boot drive.

 

If there are dumps in the minidump folder or the MEMORY.DMP file is there, please zip them up then upload to a file sharing site like OneDrive then post a link to the zip here so I can download it and take a look at them.

Hey Zrruker.

Sry but we cannot get past the original error message. No way to load or see a c drive at all. The latest images are what I got as per files that might be lost in the sys restore and the file that I believe is suspect for the real issue. Outside of that I cannot get into the computer at all.

I am unaware of the boot disk thing. Never done anything like that but dont see what I couldnt. Does the thumb drive have to be completely empty or can it have other files on it? I use most of my thumbs for additional file but if I need to move files I can. I will give al that a go tomorrow and post as I can. Thanks

Edit: BTW, no idea which version of windows. How can I find out? Is it on the box by chance? I never did toss it.

You have Windows 10, other than that I can't tell.

 

What is the full model number of the laptop? For instance, mine (a tad older) is a Pavilion DV7-6C63NR.
 
You need to use a different computer to download the Windows 10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool. I would recommend getting the latest version it offers, probably 1809. Let it create the flash drive for you. Anything currently on the flash drive will be wiped out and only the Windows 10 installation files will be there.
 
Once you have the USB flash drive, see here: Boot to Advanced Startup Options from Windows 10 Installation USB or DVD

Then click on Troubleshoot then Command Prompt. Once there you can run chkdsk as I mentioned earlier. This will check the file system and hopefully correct any errors which I suspect is what the problem is and was caused by powering off the system via the power button.

Let me approach this flash Drive thing again. A new one seems to be the best idea, what size do I need? I asked a guy at walmart and he said I could need up to a 256 gig and I about, well…

Will I need to format it?

If it is a new sandisk would I have to or can I just plug n play so to speak?

I can format on my apple.

Can I use the creation tool on my mac and create what is needed? I am not running parallels.

Sry for my confusion~the dad

 

Hello everyone, sorry for the late reply. Thank you to everyone for all the help so far, you're all carrying us.  :adios: Anyways, I have three images that show specs and my PC's serial number. Perhaps even the model number. If anyone finds the model number or has any ideas, please reply. I also have a number I found on Amazon which may be my PC's model number. Here's what I found on Amazon.

HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15.6" Core i5-8300H 15.6-inch Diagonal Full HD IPS Anti-Glare WLED-Backlit Display(1920 x 1080) with Narrow Bezel Design 8GB RAM + 1TB HDD Storage 15-cx0056wm

 

Brand Name HP Series 15-cx0056wm Item model number 2724717344100 Hardware Platform PC Operating System Windows 10 Home

According to the HP web site that model comes with Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bit.

 

Flash drive at least 8GB, probably 16GB as that is what is usually the smallest available any more.

 

It will be formatted by the Media Creation Tool.

 

Can't do this on a Mac unless you are running Windows on it.

 

Can you get a friend who has a Windows 7 or later computer to do this for you? Maybe check with your local library?

@Ztruker

 

So I have done what I can with the help of a friend. No clue. I have no idea how to zip what you are asking for but I took two pics that say the same thing. Hope that helps. I am now at the command prompt again and will leave it there till I hear from you again. 

 

EDIT:Sry, I am at the last line in the ending image, not so much a command prompt.

 

I went to a friends place and he helped me get what I needed for the flash drive. I came home and this is what I think I needed to do. I can only hope we followed directions properly.

as an aside,

 

Remember in the good old days of desk tops, one would buy a windows and would have to go in and burn something like 4-8 disks in order to put an additional os up for safe keeping? Is there any of that in todays world? What would I be looking for?

I can only presume that it is much like what I just did and that ISO would again be on a flash drive. 

Well, my patience got the best of me so I exited chkdsk and rebooted.

The exact same thing happened. No further ahead. Was something supposed to happen?

chkdsk didn't find any problems so nothing different is going to happen.

 

I was looking at the online Users Guide for your system and I see it has a Recovery Partition. I don't know how much stuff you have on it but you could restore the computer to it's factory new state, like the day you purchased it.

 

Using the HP Recovery partition (select products only)
The HP Recovery partition allows you to perform a system recovery without the need for recovery discs or a
recovery USB flash drive. This type of recovery can be used only if the hard drive is still working.
To start HP Recovery Manager from the HP Recovery partition:
IMPORTANT: For a tablet with a detachable keyboard, connect the tablet to the keyboard base before
beginning these steps (select products only).
1. Type recovery in the taskbar search box, select HP Recovery Manager, and then select Windows
Recovery Environment.
‒ or –
For computers or tablets with keyboards attached, press f11 while the computer boots, or press and
hold f11 as you press the power button.

For tablets without keyboards:
● Turn on or restart the tablet, and then quickly hold down the volume up button; then select f11.
‒ or –
● Turn on or restart the tablet, and then quickly hold down the volume down button; then select f11.
2. Select Troubleshoot from the boot options menu.
3. Select Recovery Manager, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

 

 

If you wanted to do this I hope you have your personal data backed up. If not you can back it up to a flash drive before you use F11 to start the recovery process.

Well, my patience got the best of me so I exited chkdsk and rebooted.

The exact same thing happened. No further ahead. Was something supposed to happen?

 

Now days you create an image backup of a working system, usually to an external hard drive. You can buy a 1TB USB HDD for $60 or less. I recommend using Macrium Reflect Free or Premium to do the backup.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI