This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Screensaver doesn't function Windows XP

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My screensaver doesn't work. I've made sure to clear all viruses and malware on was given an "all clean" by LD. I've googled this problem and tried several solutions but still can't get it to work. Appreciate your help. Best Regards Chuck
Hello JKC. I have an Inspiron 1501 notebook. Windows XP home Edition. I've always had the screen saver set for about a 15 minute delay. It was working up until about two weeks ago but then one day I noticed after leaving the computer unattended for several hours that the screen saver did not kick in. I've made sure my system is clean of virus' and malware. I also do not have a wireless mouse or keyboard which as I understand it can contribute to the problem.
Hi Maxreturn,

What actual selection of screen saver are you attempting to apply after you

  • Right Click a free space on your desktop
  • Properties
  • Screensaver tab
What are the exact settings you have enabled? I do not run a ScreenSaver as they are an unnecessary resource hogger. That of course is no reason why you should not run one as you have the very same OS and SP as I have, so this should make it easier to find the problem I would say.

Are there any other issues with your OS settings at all that you cannot correct?

Kind regards,
This is a quote from your first post labeled "Screensaver doesn't function Windows XP, Due to Trojan virus?"

My screensaver hasn't worked for a couple of weeks now which curiously corresponds to the time I got rid of a couple of trojan virus with AVG and SPYBOT. Guess I didn't get rid of them!


Did you use Spybot's Search & Destroy to remove infections?, if so did you create a report using the Spybot tool.
Also if you are able to look up the dates of the scans when you used AVG, to help compare against other times & dates that will be logged to do with the screen saver(or should be there, but aren't)
The more info the better. :thumbup:

Jkc73

This is a quote from your first post labeled "Screensaver doesn't function Windows XP, Due to Trojan virus?"

My screensaver hasn't worked for a couple of weeks now which curiously corresponds to the time I got rid of a couple of trojan virus with AVG and SPYBOT. Guess I didn't get rid of them!


Did you use Spybot's Search & Destroy to remove infections?, if so did you create a report using the Spybot tool.
Also if you are able to look up the dates of the scans when you used AVG, to help compare against other times & dates that will be logged to do with the screen saver(or should be there, but aren't)
The more info the better. :thumbup:

Jkc73


Hello Jkc. Yes, I typically update and run AVG and SPYBOT at least once per week. I can look up the logs on AVG but as for SPYBOT are reports/logs automatically generated or would I have to manually run a report? In any event, I'll check today and report the results back. Thanks for your help.

Hello Jkc. Yes, I typically update and run AVG and SPYBOT at least once per week. I can look up the logs on AVG but as for SPYBOT are reports/logs automatically generated or would I have to manually run a report? In any event, I'll check today and report the results back. Thanks for your help.

Next start Spybot S&D, have a look in the left menu for the Recovery Item,click on this and read on the right hand side top(next to the Recovery icon), Do not attempt to Recover anything yet. We are just looking for information regarding this fix.
Below will be a list of all the Backups created by Spybot when you fixed problems.(again do nothing we are just looking)

Also if you are able to look up the dates of the scans

Please post all that you find back into this thread.
Thanks, :thumbup:

Jkc73
Greetings Jkc. I do weekly updates and scans of both AVG and SPYBOT. All of my weekly scans using AVG were clean up until the scan of November 21 at which time 3 trojans were detected and deleted. Do you need more info than that? As for SPYBOT I did as you requested and found four backups from the latest scan. They are as follows: Antispycheck Zlob.Downloader.vdt Smitfraud-C. Smitfraud-C.gp
Let's have a look at what other applications and processes might be running in the background and possibly interfering:

Please consider running this simple utility that will help you get control of programs and processes that you wish to have running active, or not.

CodeStuff-Starters
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Starter.html

Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.

When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab
  • Click on File
  • Select - save as HTML (name the report file - Startups Dec4.html)

In your next reply, post the file as an attached file (use browse and upload buttons – at the bottom-right corner of your topic posting window where you are typing your next reply)

Please do not make any changes with Code-Stuff Starters, until after you post the requested information above and receive recommendations from a helper here.

Best Regards
Hi Chuck,

From your work with LDTate, you will already have learned that a couple of those Dell-specific processes can conflict in ways that have been associated with this problem.

Have you already tested for the problem with those Dell items turned off?

There are certainly others that you can do without, at no harm or even notice.

My bad on the .html v Plain Text, sorry.
Would you mind uploading the StartUp(tab) page from CodeStuff Starters again…
–> This time as a Plain Text. <–


thanks,
Doug
Hi Chuck,

Using your CodeStuff-Starters, "disable" each of the following:

*LogMeInRescue_2713541748",""C:\WINDOWS\LMI5B.tmp\lmi_rescue.exe" -runonce reboot","Registry - User RunOnce"
Adobe Reader Speed Launcher",""C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","Adobe Acrobat SpeedLauncher (Adobe Acrobat)","Adobe Systems Incorporated"
ATICCC",""C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLIStart.exe"","Registry - Machine Run
"Digital Line Detect.lnk","C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe","Startup - All Users","1","Digital Line Detection (BVRP Software TestLine)","BVRP Software"
dscactivate","c:\dell\dsca.exe 3","Registry - Machine Run
ECenter","C:\Dell\E-Center\EULALauncher.exe","Registry - Machine Run
ISUSPM Startup","C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup","Registry - Machine Run","1","Macrovision FLEXnet Connect Software Manager (Macrovision FLEXnet Connect)","Macrovision Corporation"
"ISUSScheduler",""C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start","Registry - Machine Run","1","Macrovision FLEXnet Connect Scheduler (Macrovision FLEXnet Connect)","Macrovision Corporation"
"Microsoft Office.lnk","C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE -b -l","Startup - All Users","1","Microsoft Office XP component (Microsoft Office XP)","Microsoft Corporation"
"S4F",""C:\Program Files\S4F\Filter7.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","FilterPak 7.6 for Windows (FilterPak)","S4F, Inc." <– Do you actually use this as a "Parental Control"?
"SunJavaUpdateSched",""C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","Java™ Platform SE binary (Java™ Platform SE 6 U10)","Sun Microsystems, Inc."
"swg","C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe","Registry - User Run","1","GoogleToolbarNotifier","Google Inc."


Open your Spybot Search & Destroy <– Turn off Tea-Timer
(I'd recommend to use the "immunize" if you wish, otherwise use Spybot only as a manual periodic scan)

CTFMon.exe
ctfmon.exe - is a special case and cannot be disabled via MSCONFIG ctfmon.exe is an MS utility to make possible the display of characters in the Thais, Mandarin and Japanese languages. If you correspond or conduct business with Asian Language individuals or websites you may be using these "special text services". If not, it is a resource hog and can safely be turned off.

GoTo - Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - Languages(tab)
Press - Details(button)
From the next Panel (Text Services and Input languages) - Select - Advanced(tab)
Place a checkmark/tick in front of the System Configuration item: "Turn off advanced Text Services"
Press - Apply - OK - OK to back out and then close your Control Panel

I'm not an - palmOne/Leader Technologies - user, but I suspect you can easily "disable" it when not in use and access it manually.
You can Turn Off all of the Roxio stuff, though again, you may "prefer" to have it instantly available if you are a heavy user.

You can turn any of the above back to active in the StartUp by using CodeStuff Starters, just reverse the process.

How much are you paying for Logmein Rescue? Just curious.
And do you actually use it?

Please tell us how your machine is working after the above.

Best Regards
Hello Doug. Well…did everything you suggested but still no functioning screensaver. I'm ready to give up on that one but need your advice on another problem that's cropped up. For some reason I cannot connect to live chat any more. There are 2-3 websites that I regularly use live chat whenever a customer service issue or technical issue arises. These seems to have happened coincidentally when you guys helped me clean the virus' off my computer and help me with my screensaver issue. I've tried both firefox and IE but cannot connect to live chat with either. Any ideas?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI