Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91868 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

New Email Problem !

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

Dear Person:...Be advised , this is a long post... We have the email problem from WTT partly fixed...I'm now getting email notifications from WTT for new posts to my thread(s) at a new email address... :) ...However I'm also getting emails ( 5-10 ) from topics that I did not subscribe to.... :( ...I have gone to "My Controls & those topics are not listed there.....I will not reprint all of them here but only the 2 most recent examples...
#1:
Forum Subscription New Topic Notification ( What the Tech )‏
Sent: Sun 11/30/08 9:22 AM
To: Xxx XxxxxX@hotmail.com (Deleted my real name)

Ron.M, silverfox77 has just posted a new topic entitled "Is Windows Firewall compatible with Zone Alarm?" in forum "Microsoft Windows™".
Can I run Windows Firewall and Free Zone Alarm at the same time with Windows XP Pro SP3? I want to do this because my computer fails Gibson Research's Shield's Up test stating" Failed Ping Reply".Gibson says I should be able to configure the firewall to reject the Ping Request, but I have the Free Zone Alarm and don't know how to do that.----------------------------------------------------------------------

The topic can be found here: http://forums.whatth...arm_t97387.html Please note that if you wish to get email notification of any replies to this topic, you will have to click on the"Track this Topic" link shown on the topic page, or by visiting the link below: http://forums.whatth...c...119&t=97387
Unsubscribing:-------------- You can unsubscribe at any time by logging into your control panel and clicking on the "View Forums" link.If you are not subscribed to any forums and wish to stop receiving notification, uncheck the setting"Send me any updates sent by the board administrator" found in 'My Controls' under 'Email Settings'.

This topic does not appear in the "View Forums link !!
Nor did I click on "Track this Topic"....

#2:
Forum Subscription New Topic Notification ( What the Tech )‏
Sent: Sun 11/30/08 8:22 AM
To: Xxx XxxxxX@hotmail.com ( Deleted my real name)

Ron.M, Jon80 has just posted a new topic entitled "backup script problem [newbie]" in forum "Microsoft Windows™".----------------------------------------------------------------------I'm using a backup script (attached backup.bat), that simply copies files over to a separate partition as a backup. The problem is that I get a 'sharing violation' error and I'm not sure "what file it is talking about". I've looked at the help file of Windows command xcopy and My budget doesn't permit me to purchase enterprise solutions (e.g. Veritas/Symantec) because I'm just backing up a single folder, so a simple solution would be appreciated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- The topic can be found here: http://forums.whatth...bie_t97385.html I haven't found any option that is relevant. Has anyone encountered similar problems and resolved them?Please note that if you wish to get email notification of any replies to this topic, you will have to click on the"Track this Topic" link shown on the topic page, or by visiting the link below: http://forums.whatth...c...119&t=97385
You can unsubscribe at any time by logging into your control panel and clicking on the "View Forums" link.If you are not subscribed to any forums and wish to stop receiving notification, uncheck the setting"Send me any updates sent by the board administrator" found in 'My Controls' under 'Email Settings'.

This topic does not appear in the "View Forums" link !!
Nor did I click on "Track this Topic"

So it appears there's still an email problem here... :huh:

I'm sorry , but this problem is getting to be agrrravating... :(
Please help....Thank you..

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

Hi RonM,

Sorry you are still having difficulty with this.

From what you report, it sounds like you may have some "Topics" to which you have subscribed.
Subscribing to and receiving notifications "can" happen automatically if you have allowed that setting.
Check in MyControls - Email SettingsSubscribe_automatically.jpg
You can select to not be subscribed automatically, but then you must remember to set to Track the Topic if you do wish to be notified of new replies.

You can check for and remove any Thread Topics that you are presently subscribed to by using the following items also in your My Controls
Subscribe_options.jpg
Subscribed_Topics.jpg

Place a checkmark/tick following any Topics that you no longer wish to be subscribed to

Hope the above helps.
Keep us posted.

Best Regards,
Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

:wavey: Hello Doug:... Good to see ya back...1st up... I did not subscribe to any topics / threads other than my own , which happens automatically...Nor did I reply to anyone else's topic / thread....Just my own...
Going to match a screenshot or two...
1st...These are my settings...

You can check for and remove any Thread Topics that you are presently subscribed to by using the following items also in your My Controls

I have been to "View Topics" & "View Forums" & done that but new ones keep popping up...

I recieved a new notification today...====>>
=============================================================================
What the Tech (no_reply@whatthetech.com)
Sent: Tue 12/02/08 12:24 PM
To: XxX XxxxX@hotmail.com (deleted my real name for privacy )

Ron.M,..... heir has just posted a new topic entitled "Can't sent PM's" in forum "What the Heck?"
How come I can't send any PM's? :huh:
=============================================================================
I'm subscribed to "What the Heck" forum but not to his / her thread...

I noticed that your screenshot is only 738X370 @ 63.68KB...And looks better than mine !!
Mine is 6000X4005 @ 472.44KB...
My 1 screenshot ate up all of my upload ability (500KB) , with a balance of 27.56KB...
Can you help me out with your secret uploading program ??
I use "Paint" ( Print screen , paste , etc ) & it takes a lot of KB's...
You have a better way....Want to share ??? :unsure:

Thanks for your detailed & informative reply.... :whistling:

Edited by Ron.M, 02 December 2008 - 08:50 PM.

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:04 PM

You're probably saving the image in Bitmap (file.bmp) format, which is HUGE, in comparison to Save as (file.jpg)

If you are subscribed to The Forum, you will receive notification if "any post" in that subscribed Forum is added or replied to.

I'll have to do some research about how to delete from your UpLoad quota.

I've never had to do that, since my images are always pristine and small file size. :P

I wonder also..... You might also have a monstrous Video Card that can handle large pixel count.
I have an old duff onboard video adapter in this machine but it works fine for me. (not a gamer or photo graphics editor kinda guy here)
my DeskTop - Properties - Settings are only 1152 x 864 which doesn't collect a lot of information in the first place.

If you are running 1600 x 1200 or higher you may already have a default pixel data count way higher than mine. (therefore larger files)

I suppose for purposes of Screen Shots you could always reduce your settings for the screen shot and then return them to your preference when running normal stuff.

Give this little program a test drive.
I just started using it last week, but am already liking it: GreenShot
http://www.brotherso...shot-69564.html

#5 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:43 PM

Hiya Doug: Thanks for the reply info & the PM about uploading space....
In reply to your last post:

You're probably saving the image in Bitmap (file.bmp) format, which is HUGE, in comparison to Save as (file.jpg)

I've always uploaded in JPG / JPEG format...bmp is humongus!!

If you are subscribed to The Forum, you will receive notification if "any post" in that subscribed Forum is added or replied to.

I have corrected this..Thanks...

I wonder also..... You might also have a monstrous Video Card that can handle large pixel count.
I have an old duff onboard video adapter in this machine but it works fine for me. (not a gamer or photo graphics editor kinda guy here)
my DeskTop - Properties - Settings are only 1152 x 864 which doesn't collect a lot of information in the first place.

I think I'm in your ballpark here...My computer is about 9 yrs old with the original video card...So we're both probably using the same type of equipment...My pixel settings are at 800 x 600...
"GreenShot" , Got it ..Will try it out when I need to ...Hope it uses less KB's.... Thanks.... :thumbup: .... :popcorn:

Doug: In the event I don't see you back here soon, I want to wish you & your family a VERY Merry Xmas & a Happy , Healthy & Prosperous New Year...
Couldn't wait , had to try it ...Greenshot:

Looks GREAT....Formatted in gif..Many THANKS, Doug.....

Edited by Ron.M, 03 December 2008 - 07:57 PM.

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:15 PM

Glad it works for you Ron.M Thanks for the well-wishing. Same, right back atcha' :thumbup: Very glad to have you onboard with us here in the WTT community. The PM I sent to you now appears as a Windows 101 in Tech Tips Forum. Thanks for motivating me. :) Doug