This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Computer Randomly Freezes

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, lately my computer has been running like carp**. I have a WD 500GB External Hard drive, along with a standard built-in 18.6GB hard drive (I know, ouch). I have 1 GB RAM, and I am on Windows XP Home Edition. Lately, my computer will freeze on the most simple tasks, and is really slow. For example, when extracting a ZIP file with WINRAR, the icon on the upper left corner will turn white, and I will have to restart to close it (Task manager won't open when it freezes). When doing an SVN checkout, it will freeze. I am tired of constantly having to restart my computer (along with the EHD, unplugging and replugging back in). Please help with my computer! I can't even run Disk Defragmenter because it says to run a ChkDsk, which always freezes at 12% on step 3! I'll post any logs you need me to, so thanks in advance! -HMRMV
Hello and :welcome:

Your issue may or maynot be malware related but it won't hurt to check.

Read the information here
and post an HJT log for an expert to look at.

Hope this helps :wavey:


(edit = typo)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI