This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Drive Partitions configured as music folders?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I'm running a fresh copy of Xpsp3nt on a 250gb hd. I recently noticed when I open my drive folders they are configured as music folders. There is a simple solution to this I'm sure but I have to admit I have never seen this before. Right clicking and selecting properties does not allow you to customize drive letter folders. This seems to be a global change as all 5 partitions are changed. I don't have any malware on this computer. I do a safe boot scan with spybot, Avast, etc. at regular intervals. The computer runs fine, no error messages, nothing suspicious in the startup list. This is a annoyance more than a problem so I searched the forums first and found nothing. I did find property editors during a Google search (for sale of course) that may be a solution. But I have the feeling I'm missing the obvious solution. I would appreciate any help.
Well Folks; I found a solution. This problem is related to the "view folders as" issue that many have posted about. Apparently since by default XP only remembers 400 view settings, increasing the number is a good idea and how to do that is widely posted in these forums. To return my folder settings to the original I did as follows; (All saved views will be lost) Start Registry Editor (regedit.exe) Backup these regkeys: (as a precaution only; if satisfied with the results, you may delete the backups) [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags] Delete the above keys. Restart windows to take effect. This worked for the most part for me except for my 80g backup drive is now a music folder???? I will increase (edit the reg key) the number of views to see if this keeps this problem from recurring. Cheers
Thanks for the reply! That is correct! That is what I found out when I opened the regeditor. So what might have caused the global change to my drive folders? Windows will change folder views based on the number of special types as you know. So Is that whats happening? Its strange this never happened before. Could the fact that I am using the original version of XP Home which I ran (very carefully) through nlite with service pack3 slipstreamed in be the cause? The early versions handled folder views differently and maybe this new copy is missing a update. I ran the update feature manually and didn't find any updates relevant to this issue. Perhaps I'll just spring for a XP/Pro disk for this computer. I used my old XP disk on this old Dell 8200 I purchased cheap to use as multi-user computer. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it) Those sure are words to live by. I was going to use "Long live Windows 98" because I still love that O.S. but its more of a inside joke. ;)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI