Hi.
I recently got over a kavo.exe and tavo.exe headache. After doing a bunch of clean-up, things seem to be working almost perfectly. However, I have two problems that I can't fix. Before I go on, let me give my system specs. Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2. Now, basically it is a set of autoplay/recognition symptoms. I ran autofix.exe, to no avail.
1. In the control panel, the icon for Portable Media Devices is missing, and no CD, DVD, or USB gets recognized. I can use the drives, but only if I access them directly through explorer. How can I get my computer to auto-recognize these again?
2. At start-up, there is an application in the Task Manager that slows everything down until it's finished: wuauclt.exe and it seems to team up with wimprvse.exe. Is there any way of shutting these off completely/removing these, and what are the drawbacks if I do that?
Thanks,
MJ
wuauclt.exe
This is Windows Automatic Update. It's continually searching for updates to install. You can set it to 'notify' you of new updates, instead of automatically downloading.
wimprvse.exe
Go to Start Menu and right click My Computer, Next choose Manage , Click
the Plus (+) next to 'Services and Applications' then Left click WMI
Control then Right click and choose 'Help'
Here you find a lot of details and different explanations for why it starts.
Having "AutoRun" shut off, is actually a security feature. If you can access the other drives on your computer, then your fine. I click on 'Computer', then my E:\ Drive when I want to run a CD or DVD.
Thanks, Jacee, for your reply.
The info on wimprvse and wuauclt was helpful.
I hadn't thought about disabled AutoRun as a security measure. Interesting. However, having it as such presents a problem when I want to run my speakers which have a USB connection. Since it won't recognize it, I can't play music except on my laptap speakers, and we know how bad those are. Any idea why I have no icon for "Portable Media Devices" in Control Panel?
Best,
MJ
Hi.
At this point, problems have mutated.
1. CD/DVD drive does not even register on the computer anymore. There is no way to use a CD in the computer right now.
2. USB port still not registering.
3. Icon for Portable Media Files still missing.
Any help?
MJ
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI