This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How To Uninstall AVG 8.0 COMPLETELY

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

OK, here's my tale of woe. As I was having serious issues with various virus contamination, I opted to dump my McAfee and replace it with AVG 8.0. Now I want to move on, but I cannot remove the AGV software. Is there a surefire way to remove it all? I would like to install Registry Mechanic Professional and I cannot install the anti-virus apps as long as AVG is installed. Help?
Actually, as long as the resident scanner (the live scanner) in avg isn't running, you *should* be able to install any antivirus you choose…

However AVG 8 can be troublesome, so here are two tools.

Kaspersky (to be used AFTER an uninstall of avg to clean up the registry)

The records of AVG8 in the system registry are identified by the Wizard as a fully installed and functioning anti-virus AVG8 although the product has already been uninstalled. As a result the Configuration Wizard asks to manually uninstall the incompatible software and interrupts the installation.

To resolve the situation you should do the following:

1 download the archive avg8.zip (below)
2 unpack all files from the archive avg8.zip into one folder
3 run the file KLeaner.exe
4 wait until the utility finishes its work
5 restart your PC

Information and download for Kaspersky's AVG removal tool can be found here


Grisoft's AVG remover (again, to be used AFTER an uninstall of avg to clean up the registry)

AVG Remover

AVG Remover utility removes all parts of AVG installation on your computer, including registry items, installation and user files on your disk, etc. AVG Remover is the least option to be used in case the AVG uninstallation / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.

Warning:
All AVG user settings will be removed after the uninstallation, as well as the Virus Vault content and other item related to AVG installation and use. During the removal procedure you will be asked to restart your computer. Therefore please make sure to finish your work and to save all important data prior to AVG Remover launch.


Information and download for AVG Removal Utility can be found here.
What do you mean you can't uninstall it? Just saying you can't remove it doesn't give us much to go on. I'm guessing you meant that the AVG uninstaller worked but that when you try to install another anti-virus it says that you already have one? If so, try going to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data and deleting any Grisoft or AVG folders. I know that when I tried to uninstall 7 and go to 8 I had problems with remnants in the Application Data area.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI