This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Software protection/conflict

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello everyone, I am new here and just signed up, however I had come to this site to look around for possibly 2 or 3 years :lol:. Anyway I have a couple of questions and I hope you can answer them for me. 1. I have a couple of programs running on my computer, however I don't know if they are going to conflict with one another or if it's going to be helpful? The programs I got are… Winpatrol Spybot S&D Spyware Blaster Malwarebytes' Ant-Malware Comodo…and Avira 2. Is there a difference with Anti-Malware and Anti-Spyware, or do they basically both mean the same thing? Finally… 3. If I don't have a software that I need to have like Anti-Spyware etc. what would you recommend and why? Thank you and I hope to see you around. :popcorn: Angel of the Moon :wavey:
:welcome: To you, we hope you enjoy this forum.

I have all the mentioned programs running on my computers except you have Avira Personal Firewall, I have ZoneAlarm………no conflict for me. Have you noticed any problems with your system? I do not think any of your software installed will conflict.

Yes, there is a difference in AntiMalware and Antispyware, perhaps if you follow this link it explains well what software you should have to keep clear of the nasties. I see you have Malwarbytes'. I do not suggest you need to post a HJT log, but other information on the above link is of importance to new members here.

For you Antispyware, this is a wonderful program to have. SuperAntispyware. Your computer is only as safe as your last definition updates, so please keep all your programs updated regularly.

Please only have your Antivirus and Firewall starting on bootup, all the others should be manually run randomly at least once a week.

Just one more I thought of would be to keep your internet temporary files clean - ATF-Cleaner.exe by Atribune. It is a standalone program that does not need updating, but you can read all about it on the link given here

Keep us posted, and ask more questions if need be.

kind regards,
Thank you tallin, however I don't have Avira Personal Firewall, I have Avria Anti-Virus, my Firewall is Comodo Firewall. I had also have ATF Cleaner just recently, but knowing that i don't need to be updated (which was going to be my next question) I don't need to worry about that. As for the link I would certainly check that out, also for the Spyware program I will check that out as well. Actually I heard a couple of people recommending it to other users, but never really thought about it I guess, since I had never really heard anything about it in the past. Now as for your question as of right now I haven't noticed anything different or problem with my system, but I'm actually looking to see if there is, but I hope not. Thank you again tallin
:thumbup: My pleasure. You would notice a problem if there was one, I only gave you the first link to acquaint you with Erunt which is a very important registry backup, I did not think you had a problem at all with your system in view of what you posted initially. Best regards, :)
:lol: Well, I loved to keep my security secure, and I have been know to be smart with computers with my dad, but all of my family aren't really technological, my mom and my grandma don't have a clue with computers. Anyway I had forgotten to ask a question that I was meaning to post in the last reply, I looked at SuperAntiSpyware and notice a pro version and a free version, which one do you recommend?
FREE FREE FREE. :thumbup:

No need for the Pro I don't think, I have had the free for as long as I can remember, it has always found something, even if only a cookie or two.

All the software regarding security on my systems is free. Safe surfing is half the battle I think and of course keeping the definitions updated.

Best regards,
Well then that is what I did, so I should not have any problems, however I was thinking about this last night when I went to bed and figure to asked you. On a couple of forums I had heard with people that had Spybot S&D and Winpatrol, some of them has the TeaTimer on and some off because, they slow down the start up process, I had also heard that they basically do the same thing, the difference that I heard was Winpatrol do a better job of it. So what is your opinion on this?
Hey :) If you (as stated) use Comodo Pro. Firewall, you don't need tea-timer nor Active Winpatrol as such. Comodo will catch'em before they do. However, Spybot S&D is fine as a prevention tool, with the immunization ability it has, along with Spywareblaster. Comodo Firewall have a application protec- tion ability, which should be more than enough. But if you like the added security, it should do no harm running Winpatrol, altho I personnally would leave tea-timer alone. I, like Tallin, use only freeware seurity products. And so far they do a fine job at that. My own security looks like this: Comodo Pro. Firewall Avast AV ThreatFire Spywareblaster Spybot S&D (Immunization only, no tea-timer) Custom Host-File Malwarebyte's Anti-malware as on-demand scanner. Firefox browser-addons: Finjan (Link and page scanner) Noscript Adblock+ Flashblock (not really needed, but i like to decide for myself when to activate flash) Regards Abydos
Angel,

Below is what I have, never have a problem with Spyware of Malware really.

I use all only on demand

AVG AntiSpyware free
AVG Anti-root free
a-squared free
Winpatrol
ATF-cleaner.exe
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard
Spybot Search and Destroy 7.5 (No Teatimer)
CCleaner
Cleanup 4,5,2
O&0 Defrag 2000 free
Auslogistics defrag
Raxco-Perfect disk web Fragmentation Analyser
Free Registry defrag
SUPER-ANTISPYWARE FREE
Bazooka Anti-root kit
Malwarebytes'

Running at bootup

ZoneAlarm Firewall Free Home Edition
Avast Antivirus
BoClean Anti-Malware

Hope this helps you decide what you really need. All required definitions updated daily.

Best regards,
Hello Abydos :wavey: thanks for the info, I really didn't know that about Comodo Firewall, I didn't know they do the same thing as Spybot TeaTimer and Winpatrol, I just thought Comodo was just a Firewall to block inbound and outbound from connecting to the internet, so thanks. However I had gotten rid of Winpatrol because during start up I noticed my computer slow down, so I had removed it and now it's much faster :D. Thanks tallin, for the list hopefully that would help me decide on what I need. At the moment this is what security I have on my computer. Comodo Firewall Threatfire Malwarebyts' Anti-Malware Avira Anti-virius Spyware Blaster Spybot S&D (no Teatimer) SuperAntiSpyware ATF Cleaner I had run almost everything one after another all yesterday, except SuprAntiSpyware and Spybot, but so far no threat detected. Thanks for all your help :notworthy:

Hello Abydos :wavey: thanks for the info, I really didn't know that about Comodo Firewall, I didn't know they do the same thing as Spybot TeaTimer and Winpatrol, I just thought Comodo was just a Firewall to block inbound and outbound from connecting to the internet, so thanks.


Just to eliminate any misunderstandings. Comodo doesn't do the same, but its Defense+
system is just better. Eliminating the need for tea-timer, etc.

Comodo Firewall
Threatfire
Malwarebyts' Anti-Malware
Avira Anti-virius
Spyware Blaster
Spybot S&D (no Teatimer)
SuperAntiSpyware
ATF Cleaner


Thats should be a package that will protect you from the most direct attacks.

However. Its just as important that you keep your system patched and updated, and
sometimes more so. Safe surfing and sound criticism regarding downloads / opening
mails from unknowns rounds it all up.

So:

Security programs
Updates / Patches
Internet / Surf - Discipline

Is the 3 most vital points in steering away from infections :)

For updates and patches, I use this online service to tell me if I missed something.

Secunia

There is no need to install the software inspector, as the online inspector does it
just as well. Unless you have a lot of 3rd party programs.

Happy surfing, and glad you could use the info.

Regards Abydos

Hello Abydos :wavey: thanks for the info, I really didn't know that about Comodo Firewall, I didn't know they do the same thing as Spybot TeaTimer and Winpatrol, I just thought Comodo was just a Firewall to block inbound and outbound from connecting to the internet, so thanks.


Just to eliminate any misunderstandings. Comodo doesn't do the same, but its Defense+
system is just better. Eliminating the need for tea-timer, etc.


OK, now I get it, thank you Abydos, for clarifying that for me. Once again thank you for all your help. I am sure that now I am protected :yeah:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI